1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung SE-S184M Booktypes on one PC but not on another...weird...

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by haza12d, Feb 21, 2007.

1. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

K...picked up an External Drive the other day, Samsung SE-S184M/AMBN and hooked it up to my guest room PC, Dell Dimension E520. I did a few burns and everytime I used Nero Recode or DVD Shrink I had the option to set the booktype to DVD-ROM. I decided to buy another one for my living room computer, Dell Dimension 8300. I hooked it up today and when it was time to do some burning, the option to booktype to DVD-ROM is not there. I bought these drives from the same store, they share the same firmware, don't know why the other one can't booktype...any thoughts?

Also, these drives show up as TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M USB Device, can't find a firmware update for SE-S184M...so since it shows up as SH-S182M, although its external, you think I can flash it with the same firmware for the internal drive?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  2. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Have you changed around the drives to see if it the computer that is affecting this? You may have a faulty drive (the one that wont booktype).

To answer your question, here is the latest update for that drive...
    http://www.samsungodd.com/Lib/popup...ad&fname=200612021020523902_SH-S182M_SB03.BIN

To run that update, you need to use this..
    http://www.samsungodd.com/KorLib/File/sfdnwin.exe

Firmware for this drive is the same as the SH-182M ;-)
    It is merely an external version if the SH-182M...

Ripper.

3. zebadee

zebadee Regular member

Hi ;-)
    For some reason if you download Samsungs auto f/w updater. You will be able to the 'true'latest f/w SB04.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  4. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

@Ripper

Yeah, changed drives from one computer to another and it isn't the drive as it can booktype on another computer. Maybe its the computer, but I've put in a few Plextors/BenQs on the maching in question and they can all booktype...This is really weird, even after I have updated to SB03, still the same non-booktyping ability...

@zebadee
    I'm going to download the automatic firmware update program and see if that helps...

I'll keep ya'll updated with the results after the next firmware flash...thanks.

5. haza12d

haza12d Regular member

DOH! Well, I figured it out. I had to update NERO with the included disc in the box... After installing the software and restarting, the drive in question now has the booktype option...geez...whatta dork!

@zebadee
    I downloaded the Auto Firmware Update utility and the most recent one they have out for my drive is the SB03...where'd you see this SB04 and is it worth updating to that?