1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAN ANDREAS ON V9 DRE PROBLEMS SOLVED (BEST MEDIA INSIDE!)

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Gazcoigne, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

after about 2 months, 2 ps2's and 3 lasers ive finally figured out the problem ive been having with my san andreas backup.

I use a v9 ps2 with swap magic 3.0 (3.3 on way). I had backed it up onto ritek g04 -R (BEST -r ARGUABLY)and it played ok until i got further into the game and then all i got was skipping and dre's.

to cut a long story short ive spent enough money to buy 3 new ps2's (2 2nd hand systems, 3 new lasers and countless different types of media.) I have tried verbatim, ritek, fuji, cmc, tdk all -R with the same result. V9 crap all others ok.

I normally use ritek for all my backups as i have done for years now, and i couldnt understand why all the other games worked ok but san andreas and getaway 2 were skipping. i searched for ages to no avail.

THE SIMPLE SOLUTION IS TO USE DVD+R FOR GAMES THAT CONSTANTLY READ OFF THE DISC. (V9+)

my ritek -R sa backups work great on my other v7 ps2 but not on the v9.

Simply put the -R are ok for loading screens but crap for fast data transfer. ALL GAMES LOAD FASTER ON +R ON A V9 IF YOU HAVE A KHS 400C LASER.

Im now using imation dvd+r manufactured by ricoh japan(60p a disc) for any games like gta or getaway that constantly stream from the disc. I am sure ritek or CMC +R will have similar results.

I think this is true for all KHS400 C lasers.

hopefully this will help some of you, and prevent some of you wasting as much money as i have.

any questions please pm me.

2. Javahed

Javahed Member

PM sent - thanks in advance

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  3. MSTFreak

MSTFreak Member

thanks very much for the info, Gazcoigne. i'm also having the same problems with my san andreas backup and i think its because i used a DVD-R. i will burn it later today on a dvd+R, lets hope it works, im low on DVD's.

oh, and can I have some of that extra media you have, maybe a laser? :D

4. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

i use the dvd-R for movies and the lasers are completely f****d but im sellin them on ebay soon so watch for them there. PM me if you want them.

5. leakynips

leakynips Member

okay it's one thing to download and play what you want....but yur trying to sell shit on ebay? I hope you get arrested you dumb shithead! Yur an idiot!!

6. rafer11

rafer11 Member

he is sellin ps2 lasers genius, not counterfeit money.

7. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

excuse me bumhole but let me point a few things out to you.

I am a mechanical engineer and i own ALL of my games. I am also a keen console modifyer and custom builder. I do not download games or movies or any of that shit as i can easily afford to buy the real thing.

I copy all of my OWN originals for the convenience durability, and just plain fuckin fun of doin it because i can.

I have thousands of parts of ps2's that i have accumulated from the hundreds i have built and repaired over the last 2 years, and if i wish to sell these on ebay i may.

you need to get off your high horse and wind your neck in and stop flaming other members of this forum. afterdawn is the best forum on the net for people to learn how to fix and modify their consoles and its just a pity that people like you can get access just to piss the rest of us off and ruin the experience for the rest of us.

I am here to help people not to be insulted by someone like you.

If you have nothing helpful to say then sdont.

8. dg3elite

dg3elite Regular member

agreed.. do you have any experience with ps2 v4's? will they play dvd+r any better then dvd-r or is it just a case with v9's?

thanks

9. Winning11

Winning11 Guest

We don't need this kinda shit here. Gazcoigne don't worried about it.
    dg3elite Ver. > 4 usually read +r, but there are exceptions, u still could try ur luck.

10. dg3elite

dg3elite Regular member

yea i know it can read dvd+r but is it better then dvd-r for games like san andreas or is it only the case for v9?

11. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

i have found this is so for v9 consoles only. a v4 will prefer - R go for a ritek dis preferably G04 4X and write it as slow as possible.

thanks for the support guys.

12. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

From my experience, my ver 5/6 also prefers +r disks. I experimented with MGS3, GTASA, some import JAP RPGs, and some sports games. When moving from -r to +r, I saw a significant decline in loading times, skipping and freezing, and sound the laser made when jumping around while reading from the disk.

I used 8x Taiyo Yuden brand +r's and 8x TDK TTG02 -r's. The results could be partly explained by the difference in quality between the two media, but the TDK's are among the recommended media for my burner, and have burned movies flawlessly(which play fine on my ps2), so I think it's safe to say that a big part is the switch to +r.

Regardless, that's all I'm using now for my ps2 backups, Taiyo Yuden 8x dvd+r's.

ETA: Swap Magic 3.0 is my loading method.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  13. ppiper

ppiper Member

i have a v9 ps2 and my san andreas backup will only work for 10 min ive tried sony verbatum and maxell no luck all +r media with a sony burner/alcohol and dvd decryptor ive waisted so many disks i think im just gonna give up on it i bought this flip top and its dissapointing to only to be able to copy SOME games it seems like anything over 4 gigs is a problem/skipping and stopping i think im gonna try a dual layer disk and see if it helps i dont know??? or i might take my fliptop off my v9 and put it on my v4 and buy some -r media dam what a waist of money. my burner will only burn at 4x (slowest) with alcohol could this be a problem? but with decryptor i can get it slower but it seems like alcohol makes a better back up? im not a newb and i just built an amd64 3500 so i know its got enough juice before it was my 1.2 t bird and old burner holding me back but this DAM SAN AND needs to coperate i backed up ominusha with no problem and it 4 gigs i believe? oh and also my v9 even has a hard time playing burned dvds +r and games that havent been backed up sometimes how weird i wish i knew how to oc this thing!

14. Gazcoigne

Gazcoigne Regular member

the problem is your laser not the media. if it is having trouble reading all media and normal games it sounds like your laser is fading away. the ps2 lasers are shite they dont last very long at all.

15. nrk4594

nrk4594 Regular member

I made a backup of San Andreas using a TDK 2x DVD-R (TDK G02) disc. I read the original at 1X and burned at 1X using DVD Decrypter. I have had no Disc Read Errors playing it on my v9 with DMS3 flash 2.2 installed. I can play it for hours on end, without any errors.

16. ppiper

ppiper Member

ok tdk? ive had some in the past and they seemed fine im using only a flip top and swap majic dvd disk. your DSM3 IS A MOD CHIP RIGHT? do u know how people r doing just using the sm disks? i havent been around a while just built my new rig and am back i read alot of people getting different results with different media. if my laser is shit thats sucks cause the thing isnt that old how much would it cost for a new laser? and is there a cheap easy mod chip u guys would reccomend with the sm disk via fliptop or should i just simply use my disks and keep on getting coasters till i get down to the root of the problem, and yes it seems if its having problems playing burned dvds there is a problem it seems to like dvd x copy backups over my nero/decryptor /dvd2one backups im just tired of waisting so many disks i think i can spend a whole weekend just reading info on this site and i see so many different results right now i got a stack of sony dvds and verbatum digital movie dvd all +rs i think u can get those tdks simply at staples right? i havnet tried ritek yet but im gonna get some from meritline.com.