1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

san andreas ps2 slim experiment

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by ajarina, Mar 24, 2005.

1. ajarina

ajarina Member

hello all

im a fairly new owner of a slim ps2 and have modded it using a flip top and i use swap magic 3.3

i burn using ritek g05 media. i typically read with dvd decrypter and burn with alcohol 120% at a max of 4x. any other methods ive used led to games with skips or unusually long load times.

Anyway, the only game that has given me continuous trouble is GTA san andreas. ive probably made around 8 or 9 coasters trying different ways to burn it. ive burned at different speeds, tried reading and writing with alcohol, tried reading and writing with dvd decrypter and nothing works. i recently read a thread on here that offers the solution of using DVD+R instead or -R to burn this game. in the thread it talks about this working for V9 and above models of the ps2, but no mention if it works for the slim.

anyway, im posting this for two reasons:
    1) to let you all know about my experience in case there is someone out there with my same troubles, and the outcome of my burning on DVD+R
    2) to receive any feedback i can in case burning with DVD-R doesnt work. i want to make a backup of this game so bad i can taste it, and every coaster i make frustrates the hell out of me. so any input on how i can acheive this would be much appreciated.

2. jonels

jonels Regular member

i'm sure the slims can read dvd+

i always buy the cheapest discs i can find ..which is usually "Mr. DVD" crappo and burn at the rated speed. The "-" ones work ok but sometimes loading is a little slow and with San Andreas i would get obvious errors like bumping into things which were not drawn yet! with the "+" discs the game is fine and just like my original.. so i think "+" is a liitle better, especially when buying cheap discs... thats my experience with "+" and "-" discs.

3. steimy

steimy Active member

get some good media, which from what i hear Ritek is.
    Most of the people i have seen on here use the G04, not sure what the difference is.
    I used Phillips DVD-R 8X and my copy played just fine.
    Used DVD Decrypter to back it up.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  4. ajarina

ajarina Member

Hey guys, just thought youd like to know, i successfully backed up GTA San Andreas on a DVD+R (maxell 4x). read at 1x and burned at 4x. Fast load times, no skips, no disc read errors. So we have a solution in case anyone was having trouble on a v12 ps2 with san andreas backups.