1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SanDisk U3 error

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by tmaak, Jun 30, 2007.

1. tmaak

tmaak Member

I bought a SanDisk cruzer micro 1 GB. The U3 launchpad experiences an error and won't launch. I can't return it because I don't have the original packaging. The SanDisk site requires you to be in the launchpad (which doesn't work) to uninstall it and when accessing the drive it requires you to format it but windows is unable to complete the format. I've tried removing the U3 files manually but they are restricted. This leaves the drive useless. Any ideas?

On a side note, about half the times i plug a USB drive into a port my computer crashes. I'm unsure why it does this and its rather annoying. Fixing the SanDisk is my main priority but if anyone can help me with why my computer crashes that would be great too.

Thnx

2. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

As far as your drive goes, go to www.majorgeeks.com and search for and download "Unlocker". With this you can delete restricted files. Use it to delete the U3 junk.

Once that is done, plug the drive into the My Computer window and when it shows up, right click on it and select format. Have it perform a quick format.

Once that is done, try accessing it through the My Computer window like it was any other type of drive. Open it up and see if you can copy and paste data into it. If you can, great, you've just bypassed any need for U3 (which sucks in my opinion) and you have a working memstick.

As far as your computer crashing, thats just unfortunate... You may try seeing if your computer is running windows XP serverice pack 2. Service pack 2 contains support USB 2.0 devices and drives. If you do NOT run Service Pack to on your XP machine, you will want to update from microsoft.com (its free, it just takes a while).

If you are running Service Pack 2, try checking to see if your system is missing any drivers pretaining to Universal Serial Bus Controllers, BIOS extensions, or Chipset. If you're missing anything like that, go to the manufacturer of your computer's website (example dell.com) and look up your computer to see if any drivers updates and downloads are available. Its not too terribly hard to figure out, but if you need a hand, find someone who knows a bit about drivers to handle it for you.

3. tmaak

tmaak Member

Thanks, i will try that. I never thought to check the drivers, so thanks for that idea as well.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

tmaak, what chipset is your motherboard using as in via, intel, sis or amd? i had somewhat same problem of computer crashing when trying to download to a usb drive, ended up was the via usb drivers had to be re-installed.

5. tmaak

tmaak Member

It is Intel

Vicious I downloaded and installed unlocker but i was still unable to delete the U3 data off the thumb drive. Any other ideas or things i may have down wrong. Also all my drivers are up to date.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  6. Vicious88

Vicious88 Regular member

Its odd to me that Unlocker isn't helping you... You may just try the format anyway...