1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sansa e250 playlist help

Discussion in 'Portable audio players' started by PCSqu33z3, Aug 11, 2006.

1. arch85

arch85 Member

beats me man ... i didn't even know there was a version 2!!

But no one has complained about my scripts not working on version 2 so no idea ... I will try to upgrade my player's firmware sometime soon I guess to give it a shot ... when I get some free time on my hands ... :)

2. wla2000

wla2000 Member

3. samiamar

samiamar Member

Can playlists can reside on the microSD card? If the playlists reside in the main memory they are visible even if microSD card is not inserted. I have several microSD cards and would like the playlists to change when memory cards are revoved or inserted.

4. vidkid08

vidkid08 Member

Go here to download the easy video converter DVDshrink and Videodub:

Link removed due to inappropiate material and auto-browser opening spamming websites. Member has been informed of inappropiate behavior, sorry to those clicking the link and expecting something else. You must post by the forum rules, any other deviations will result in a ban from this BB

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. gttdi

gttdi Regular member

yes I used WMP10
    did you get past the player hanging at refresh database?
    and you deleted all your old tracks and that DAT file?
    you could try using media monkey its a free program

6. wla2000

wla2000 Member

I have been using WongDong's "PlayList Creator.exe" for a little while, and it was working great until recently. I don't know what changed, but suddenly the playlists got created in a somewhat unpredictable order. Since what I listen to primarily is audio books, the order of the tracks is extremely significant. I do
    take care to name the folders with order-able names, like Disk 01, Disk 02, etc., (I don't assume a leading zero).

So I decided to try my hand at creating my own playlist program, which I have called PlayListEditor.exe. It is available for free at the following address: http://www.asherfamily.info/PlayListEditor/PlayListEditor.zip.

I believe it will reliably create playlists in the order of the folders. It will only create master-level folder playlists (ie there is no option to create playlists for each sub-folder). It will grab any sub folders in the \MUSIC folder of the main drive or the SD drive. It has logic to remember the drive letter of the SD drive. It looks for WMA or MP3 files, but if you have other file formats you want to include, you can specify them as well.

I have tested this only on my Sansa e250, version 01.02.24A. I don't know if it will work on other Sansas, other Sansa firmware versions, or other audio players. But if it does, please let me know! My email address is in the Help screen of the program.

The program is written with Delphi 5, so you will not need .NET on your system. Conversely, since it is a stand-alone executable it is much bigger than WongDong's program, which doesn't take much space at all. Mine is about 400 MB in size.

If you like the program (or not) please let me know. Obviously, back up your playlists and use the program at your own risk, but it's yet another way to skin the Sansa playlist cat that's been dogging all of us!

(Aside to WongDong: I did try to send you an email about this to an email address at the Technical University of a large European city, but it got rejected by the email server - maybe my attachment was too big. Please don't be offended by my "improvements"!).

Cheers,
    wla2000

7. wongdong

wongdong Member

Hey wla.

Nah, why should i be offended? It's nice that someone finaly ported the stuff to delphi. I personally don't even have a Sansa Player anymore :) Even with playlists, i found the time this crap takes to even bring up the songs far to annoying (especiall when there are 20+ Songs in a dir).

Regarding your order-Problem. This is actually caused by the Sansa File management. It seems to order files that were added later after the ones already there. To re-order you can simply move the folder to your copmuter's drive and back on the player again. This will re-establish the correct file ordering. I think you'll not fare better with the Delphi version regarding this problem, but maybe i'm wrong there.

So keep it up and good someone did soemthing about the .NET requirement :)

Cheers, Christian a.k.a WongDong

8. jwskater

jwskater Member

Hey all this has helped. but I have a HUGE problem.
    The part after downloading the firmware for the sansa e200 series, u are suppose to set ur mp3 to msc mode but the thing is...my sansa doesnt have the usb setting in the settings list. Tats seems really weird. so because of tat, the firmware setup wont detect my player.
    Does anyone no wat to do??

9. buzmeg

buzmeg Member

I had the same problem. You need to update your firmware to V03.0116A.

That version fixes the USB Settings problem.

10. arch85

arch85 Member

I have not tried it but someone who was trying to use my scripts called the sansa support told them to do this and it worked for them:

restart the computer and the sansa holding the record and backward buttons.

Supposedly doing that puts the mp3 player in MSC mode. :)

Regards,

- Archit

11. jwskater

jwskater Member

THANK YOU!

thanks a lot

tat solved it
    updating it

and thanks for helpin out

12. wla2000

wla2000 Member

I have updated my PlayListEditor to deal with directories being out of order in the Sansa folder structure (by tabling up all folder entries and then sorting them, before creating each play list). The new zip file is available at http://www.asherfamily.info/PlayListEditor/PlayListEditor.zip.

This is a free program I created to help you create playlists on the Sansa e200 series. It is written with Delphi 5 and is stand-alone - just put it in the root folder of your Sansa (in MSC mode) and then execute it.

Note that if your folders have non-standard names, the sort will be a non-standard sort. Also, the sort will always be an alphabetic sort, so a folder named "Folder 10" will sort before "Folder 2". Always use leading zeroes when including numbers in the folder names.

Enjoy!

13. wongdong

wongdong Member

You should put your proggy on downloads.com

Cheers, Christian

14. wla2000

wla2000 Member

Christian:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I submitted PlayListEditor.exe to download.com a couple weeks ago, and as of today it is now available there.

I plan an improvement soon. The current version arranges playlists in alphabetical order, regardless of any quirky folder issues the Sansa firmware may have. My next version will perform a partial numeric sort, so that files that are duplicately named except for a trailing 1, 2, 3...10, 11, 12, etc. will be sorted in order, with no leading zeroes necessary. Rocket science!

William Asher

15. Csr

Csr Guest

I have the sansa e250 4 GB.. My music will not show up in Rhapsody or windows media player, so im not able to delete any music.. I did the right click on the device in my computer and formated it thinking it would delete the music, and it did.. but it says only 600 MB of free space.. and said the rest (3GB) was filled up, but theres not music on it...How can i fix this?

16. wla2000

wla2000 Member

Hello. I have updated my PlayListEditor.exe program, which is available for free at Download.com. The latest change is to make the handling of numbers in file names more flexible. They will now sort numerically, rather than alphabetically, so you can have a series of files with 1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12 in the file names and have them sort in the expected way, rather than with the teens and hundreds sandwiched in between "1" and "2". In other words, there is no longer any need to put leading zeroes in before any numbers present in file or folder names.

You can find PlayListEditor v1.2 at download.com by searching for "sansa playlist". Thanks.

17. DA12Dave

DA12Dave Member

Finally managed to get the multiple entries for various albums on my E280 deleted - Thanks for all the tips!

18. coliflwr

coliflwr Member

Hi,

I'm confused, could some one please tell me an easy way to get playlists (other than my "GoList") on my sansa e250 2.0 GB. I know what that's what this thread is all about, but half the stuff I don't understand (lol).

Thank you very much,
    coliflwr

19. naggis

naggis Member

Hi Coliflwr
    I know that confusion. It took some searching to find a solution. Can I refer you to my earlier post on page 5 of this thread - 6 December 07. Was it that long ago??
    The relevant program information from Wongdong is on page 2 - his posts of 27 December 06 and 8 January 07.
    As you can see you need to download Microsoft .NET which does take a bit of time. But the playlist maker is very quick. And it works EVERY TIME.
    Hopefully my earlier notes will give you some help in actually using the software
    Hope it works ok

20. wla2000

wla2000 Member

I've been tinkering with my PlayListEditor program, and have posted version 1.5w at www.download.com. Its original concept was to improve a little bit on Wongdong's playlist program by not requiring the presence of the .Net framework. Also it overcomes a dependency that Wongdong's program has on the sequencing of files as implemented in the folder structure of the e200. In other words my program will show the files in the correct order, numerically or alphabetically.

My latest version adds, at the request of one my users, the ability to change the order in which audio tracks appear in a play list, after it has been created. You double-click on the play list name and then use the mouse to drag audio track entries up or down, and then save the play list.

Unfortunately one gruntled user gave my program a single star (out of five) at download.com. His criticism was that the program did not work on Windows Vista 64-bit. I wish he had communicated that problem to me rather than giving me the bad feedback. So anyway if you have used the program and like it, please consider giving me some stars at download.com. Thanks.

I have also posted a version of the program that runs under the Java Runtime Environment. A new Java version (1.6j) will be available soon which corrects a formatting error in the playlists (they should always have backward-slashes in the audio-track paths, even if created in a forward-slash environment like Unix or Macintosh). This version requires that you download and install the JRE from Sun.