1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

are you saying that it only has 1 vob file on these disk because if thats true it will be almost impossible too take off the disk if you recorded 4 hours on there

2. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Yip that's what I'm saying! Again hence the reason why when you delete a chapter, it isn't really deleted. The menu option to view it isn't there however if you play the VOB file by it self it's still there in the "one file". This means that is still takes up space on the disc.

I'm not sure if a firmware upgrade can change that method but if it can I hope they do something like that, if they release a new upgrade.

I mean if I wanted to record three shows and decide to delete the second one, the menu option is removed but it's still there and taking up space. You get what I'm talkin about.

3. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

It still takes up the space becasue it cannot be erased if it is a once-write disc.Only the menu reference to it is removed.
    Not sure about +RW discs though,i never used any on it.

4. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Ummm yeah that's what I said...lol

I have only used DVD+RW's with it so far and it's the same

5. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Looky here are the disk when there done from the recording really in one big file because on dvd rs when you stop and restart dont you restart and make a new file there for every tme you stop should be a different file.

6. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

And I clarified the point becasue I dont think it was getting through

7. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Nope it's the same file, let's hope firmware and change this and that IF they release a new one this correct this problem, cause it's a real pain!

8. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

How could this be once your done with one program it stops and then when you start again it restarts in a new spot on the disk how can it continue too write too the same file.

9. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

I don't know but that's what happened. Those of you who have this unit, try it and see.

Cause I recorded several different things onto the disk and well it only gave one VOB file. Even when I ejected it and put it back in to record something else....still one VOB file.

I believe if it did indeed create more than one VOB file this would be VERY useful especially when deleting chapters cause as both [bold]culttvguy[/bold] and I stated previously, it only deletes the menu reference but the VOB file still takes up the same amout of space.

One other thing that someone mentioned that I also don't like is the fact that after each chapter (if you record and then stop and record again) it stops and you have to select the next chapter manually instead of it going automatically to the next one. This is only with discs it creates thankfully.

Another thing, for a while I thought the auto chapter feature didn't work but it does. It doesn't display a new chapter in the menu when you select this option, all you are able to do is skip to it when you are watching a chapter.

I don't mean to turn anyone away from this unit, it's a good buy for the price and for the image quality, but some things that would seem pretty typical seem to be lacking.

10. bugbaby

bugbaby Guest

Walmart in Mishawaka, IN has this unit on clearance for $90. I picked one up on a whim. Stumbled across this via google to get some info on it. May take it back yet, but couldn't walk past it at that price.

Anyway, that was just an FYI =)

11. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

They say there will be a new model coming out soon. It is the DRW600. Perhaps the quirks will be fixed in the new one? They are probably selling out the older models before getting this new one on the market.

12. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

That would be both a good thing and a bad thing...

Good: Better unit hopefully with corrections to some, if not all of the things we've mentioned.

Bad: For people like me who have the 500 and can't really return it and get the newer one....(I can't because I live in another country). It's also bad because that means they may not have any more firmware upgrades for it.... :-(

13. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

When is the next model 600 coming out and where can I find out what models are coming out

14. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

We asked the tech support people. They just said it is coming out and didn't know when at that time. That was probably a month ago.

15. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

A new thing just came up about my dvd recorder I was using a dvd rw disk and it played the first time in the recorder but later it says there is no disk in the recorder but I put it in a ps2 and it played but it paused and never countinued. Of course there is one thing i have not mentioned that the disk is badly scratched so thats problably be the cause.

Just a alittle fyi take care of your disks.

16. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Well I had an incident with mine the other night. I was trying to record a music video that was being premiered and well I had it on and it set to the correct input and when it's time for me to hit record, the unit is off.....

And for those of you with it, you know it takes a few seconds to come on and load the disk and then I have to change the input!

Something else also happened the other day too...I was watching a DVD and the unit turned off by itself, this happened like three times. I am hoping it's not defective cause that would just suck so much, seeing as I am in another country now!!!

17. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

This is what happening now put in a disk and says no disk of course this happens after 30 secs of loading disk on the screen so after using it for 3 months and have hundreds of dvds from this unit and hopefully when i get the next one it will be better.

18. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

I just hope they bring out a newer Firmware update for this one or something. Cause I'm more or less stuck with it... :-(

I realized that when I erase the discs on my computer it's not able to record on them until I erase it again with the unit.

I thought I could have gotten over the picture problem with cable but it's annoying really... I really wish I could carry it back (but I can't without the box) or sell it to someone..LOL

19. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Anyone with the problem of putting in a blank dvd and then hitting record come up with a message recording prohibited please and everytime I put any disk in prerecorded or other wise it says no disk and I have had the firmware update.

Is there anyway too get it back too the factory default settings?

20. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

This unit will NOT dup copy protected films (such as Disney films, etc). So that you don't trash a DVD, I found that if you start the VHS tape, and then press record on the Sanyo w/out a DVD in the tray, you can test to see if it's copy prohibited. If you don't get the warning, then you can dup it and you haven't trashed a DVD.

The only other thing you can try is to get a "video picture stabilizer" from places like Radio Shack. It sits inbetween the video out on your VCR and video in on the Sanyo. It somehow bypasses the copy protection and allows a copy to be made. I haven't tried this on the Sanyo, but I know it works from VHS to VHS.