1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

My message is unclear I see that its how I wrote it.

I dont have trouble recording because any disk I put in the recorder says [bold]no disk[/bold] and when i tried too put a blank one in and record the tv it says recording prohibited and that only works on certain channels.

any way I'm going too get it fixed because it has a 1 year parts and labor warranty and I still have the reciept and the box because I just got it in 2005 feb 26 so the 3 months is over but the year warranty is still good.

So no I wasnt trying too dub anything yet havent got a vcr yet but I was going too transfer some of my brothers old wcw too dvd but that has too wait now.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  2. usafret

usafret Guest

Hi Kings..... The CIMA CT-1 will let you record ANYTHING! Search for it on the web to get the best price. IT WORKS!

3. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

thanks but after I used it too much it wont read any disk and I returned it

4. MikeUSA

MikeUSA Member

I have two questions:
    1) I have successfully used a Sanyo DRW 500 recorder to convert video tapes to DVD. I now have several DVDs containing all the oldest videos. Next, I would like to capture parts of these video DVDs for editing and compiling into new versions. Will Final Cut Express do this? Any other software suggestions (for Apple G4 iBook or G5 dual processor)?

2) I have newer video footage on a Sony camcorder (8mm). Will the Sanyo DRW500 handle the task?

Thanks for your help.

5. MikeUSA

MikeUSA Member

I have two questions:
    1) I have successfully used a Sanyo DRW 500 recorder to convert video tapes to DVD. I now have several DVDs containing all the oldest videos. Next, I would like to capture parts of these video DVDs for editing and compiling into new versions. Will Final Cut Express do this? Any other software suggestions (for Apple G4 iBook or G5 dual processor)?

2) I have newer video footage on a Sony camcorder (8mm). Will the Sanyo DRW500 handle the task?

Thanks for your help.

6. AlwaysOn

AlwaysOn Guest

I bought 100 Memorex blank DVD+r's when I bought the Sanyo DRW500. I got about 60 good ones out of that batch. I called the 800 number and they told me I needed to use 1X-4X discs. The sent me their CD-ROM UPGRADE and said that might help.
    Well, I loaded the upgrade and I bought 100 1X4X blanks, and I still have a huge "disc error" rate.
    On several occaisions I have attempted to record late nite shows while I slept. I'd finalize the disc when I woke, and then I would get "disc error" when I tried to play them. I am totally frustrated not knowing if I will be able to record or not, and these "disc errors" are becoming quite costly.
    Does anyone have any solutions? I am not rich and can not afford to buy another unit. Thanks for your input on this!

7. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

Yes, there is a way but it's really convoluted - how I WISH the industry would get its act together!!!!

Go to: http://www.xvcd.com/sources.htm
    This is a page with tons of free VDV2AVI converters. The one that I have used is the SVCD converter. YOu simply browse for your .vob file for the input side and then choose a new name for the output in .avi format. Once it's back to .avi, you can put it in Pinnacle Studio or Windows Movie Maker. You can edit to your heart's content and then you'll have to remux the finished product back to a DVD.

See what I mean about the bass-acwards system????

As an aside, I'm really disappointed with this unit. I went ahead and bought a Lite-on as a second unit. That one is MUCH friendlier, complete with quick start screens and NO recording failures. I found that my Sanyo is a great coaster maker if you don't follow the recording instructions EXACTLY as they are listed. I would love to see someone start a class-action suit against Sanyo for this piece of *&*&#(.

8. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

I already took the crap back got my money back and just so you know the unit is discontinued

Also you dont want it too be on anything hot or something they will become hot like a mini fridge. I was stupid and I think thats how the thing messed up too hot plus I hated the menu where you put the name of the disk or program.

One other thing I used 8x and never had a problem memorex is a good dvd too use.

I would like too know if there are any good ones with the hard drive because thats the next one I m getting and stay away from ilo if you dont have av hook ups on your tv its pointless too get it because you need a converter and that about retarded because there are cable hookups in the back of it and btw the one ilo I bought first was rh04 then I bought drw500 that was goo except for over heating and I bought the rh05 and had same problem as the rh04 could just hook the tv into the cable jacks.

I would really like too know whay they do this are they all morons.

9. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

Here's the recommendations from Consumer Reports (these were all rated as Best Buys for each category: for further information, go to:
    http://www.consumerreports.org (the yearly subscription for the website is inexpensive)

DVD ONLY (no HD)
    [bold]Panasonic DMR-E65S[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Excellent; a CR Best Buy. Simultaneous record/playback when using DVD-RAM discs. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from limited to full. Reads JPEG image files from DVD-RAM (but not CD-R/RW) discs and memory cards and can copy JPEG files between the two. Plays DVD-Audio in stereo only. Interactive electronic programming guide does not work with satellite-TV systems.

[bold]Pioneer DVR-320-S[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Very good. Progressive-scan video is smoother than that of most other units tested when playing back video-based, pre-recorded DVDs. Simultaneous record/playback when using DVD-RW discs in VR mode. Time-shift recording can be controlled by timer-controlled cable or satellite box. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from very limited to full.

DVD Recorder w/HD
    [bold]Panasonic DMR-E95HS[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Excellent. Simultaneous record/playback when using hard drive or DVD-RAM discs, and can record to one type of media while playing back another. Reads JPEG image files from DVD-RAM (but not CD-R/RW) discs and memory cards and can copy JPEG files between the two. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from limited to full. Plays DVD-Audio in stereo only. Interactive electronic programming guide does not work with satellite-TV systems.

[bold]Pioneer DVR-520H[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Very good. Progressive-scan video is smoother than that of most other units tested when playing back video-based, pre-recorded DVDs. Simultaneous record/playback when using hard drive or DVD-RW discs in VR mode, and can record to one type of media while playing back another. Time-shift recording can be controlled by timer-controlled cable or satellite box. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from very limited to full.

Recorder w/built-in VCR
    [bold]Panasonic DMR-E75VS[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Excellent. Simultaneous record/playback when using DVD-RAM discs, and can record to one type of media while playing back another. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from limited to full. Plays DVD-Audio in stereo only.

[bold]JVC DR-MV1S[/bold]
    RECOMMENDATIONS & NOTES
    Very good overall, but progressive-scan playback of most movies on pre-recorded DVDs is no smoother than that of standard players. Has two TV tuners; allows DVD recorder and VCR to independently record two different TV channels at once. Time-shift recording (onto DVD only) can be controlled by timer-controlled cable or satellite box. Simultaneous record/playback when using DVD-RAM discs, and can record to one type of media while playing back another. Depending on the recording media used, editing capability ranges from very limited to full. Can provide progressive-scan video output when playing VHS tapes; improvement over standard VHS, while not equivalent to DVD, is noticeable when viewing certain motion scenes. Can output DVD video and audio to antenna/cable input of older TVs.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2005
  10. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

If you read your manual or talk to the tech people in Arkansas you will find out that Memorex is the only disc that they tell you NOT to use in the DRW500. And it is very important not to use the faster discs, too. We have used Opto Disc+RW 1-4X and have had very little trouble. We use Maxell+R 4X and have very good luck with them, too. The 330 movies that we made are proof that it DOES work!

11. UBChillin

UBChillin Guest

Has anyone ever figured out how to make the Sanyo 500 region free through either remote codes or a firmware upgrade? I have some movies from different countries and have to use another player to watch them. Been searching for a while getting nowhere trying to find a solution. Thanks.

Just to share my experience, if you want to make a copy of a disk created on the Sanyo 500 then use a DVD-RW disk and bring it to your computer. Run Nero Burning ROM and choose Copy DVD. Be patient, to make the temp file may take a half hour or more. Lots of "LBA errors" but it doesn't matter, it works. Then you can rename the tempfile.nrg to anything.nrg and keep it on a hard drive if you wish for additional copies in the future.

12. kingsmead

kingsmead Member

I know this is a little "off topic", but does anyone know of a good freeware converter to change .vob files to .avi? I've been using a program called "flaskavi" which is OK, but it's really slow in the conversion. The reason I want this is so that if I record something on the Sanyo, I'm limited to Title naming and there are no menu links. When I convert the files to .avi, I can then import them to Pinnacle Studio and work my magic.

If anyone else has a good freeware app, I would appreciate a link so that I can look at it.

Thanks.

13. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

[bold]kingsmead[/bold] there's a program called Im Too DVD Ripper, you can convert to AVI and MPEG... however the speed is sorta slow still.

Has anyone here experienced their unit cutting off? It was doing this after 20mins of recording with me, it would freeze and then cut off with the record button on the unit still on!

When I put it back on it doesn't even recognize the disc, therefore what I had recorded is useless :-(...this is frustrating, one problem after the next with this thing....why me (sigh)

I even tried it with the RW that came with the unit and its the same thing. I tried unplugging it and doing it over, well that worked for a while but after 70mins it did the same thing AGAIN! Can anyone suggest something?

14. ddintv

ddintv Member

I don't know if anyone can help me with this, but my DRW-500 (only a month old) will not play or acknoledge ANY CD's. When I load a CD, it just says "no disc" after scanning it. I even tried to install the firmware upgrade from a CD-R, and I got "no disc". Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do to correct it?

15. wolf123

wolf123 Regular member

Well I had mine 3 months and did the same thing at the end but I think mine was poblably do too being on a small fridge that was at the end of its life and heating the bottom of the recorder so I got my money back and one thing they discontinued this model so I would get another one as soon as you can because you dont want too try the warrenty walmart will hassle you.

16. AlwaysOn

AlwaysOn Guest

hey ddintv... first try unplugging the unit for 30 seconds and let it reset itself.
    Are these store bought cd's? Anything made at home has to be finalized first before it will play. Also, I usually hand wash my discs with a little dish soap and dry them with a fluffy towel. I do this with cd's and dvd's that have fingerprints or dust/dirt on them.
    This seems to help them play better with less freeze-ups or skipping.

17. ddintv

ddintv Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried uplugging the machine as you suggested, but no luck. It's still not seeing CD's.

As for the CD's themselves, they're all store-bought and play in other CD players just fine, so I'm stumped! I'll call Sanyo and see if they have any ideas.

18. ddintv

ddintv Member

Just got off the phone with Sanyo, and they told me to return the machine to the retailer (in this case, Wal-Mart). Since I bought it less than 3 months ago, they'll exchange it.

19. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Do you guys think a signal amplifier would help this problem? I found a nippon america amplifier but I'm not sure if to buy it or something more expensive, to come home and try it and it doesn't work.

I tested out the recorder on a new local channel and go to such problem. I also recorded from another DVD player and it worked almost perfect. So I know it's the cable or at least the non local channels. I don't get the lines from my VCR but I get spaces where the lines would be.

20. ddintv

ddintv Member

In my experience, the DRW-500 just isn't a good unit. I returned two to Wal-Mart for the exact same problem (neither would play audio CD's), and finally shelled out the extra $100 for an RCA machine, which hasn't given me a problem yet (other than my son shoving the occasional foreign object into the VCR tray, but that's just toddler curiosity).

There was a reason the DRW-500's were stacked in the middle of the aisle with a big sign which essentially said "I'm cheap - buy me!". Spend the extra....you'll thank yourself!