1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanyo DRW 500 recorder

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by rbrown, May 9, 2004.

1. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Well I can't really return it, cause the three months has already passed not to mention, the unit is no longer in the US.

Anyone think the amplifier will work??

2. FrankZap

FrankZap Guest

I have the Sanyo DRW 500 too. I had that same problem with allegedly copy protected tapes. I have no idea how I figured out the solution, but here it is:

The problem was with the RCA cables. I switched to RF dubbing using a coaxial cable. Voila! Copying success.

The DRW 500 can detect a videotape with an unstable signal and conclude that it's a copy protected tape. So any videotape that is a multi generation dub could be seen as copy protected.

3. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

Hi FrankZap, Thanks for the tip. We didn't think of using coaxial cable. We will try that. We usually don't have trouble but there are times---

4. Singerboy

Singerboy Member

Anyone think the amplifier will work???

5. aurora97

aurora97 Member

Many thanks to all who have offered advice on the DRW500! There seem to be more posts from people who have issues with the DVR than form those who like it. Most useful to me was the Sima CT-1 or CT-2. All of my other A/V equipment is RCA and it always automatically overrides the macrovision. I have had my DRW500 for 6 weeks and have found that the Memorex 4x DVD+RW discs work great. I have not installed any firmware or upgrades to the DVR and the Memorex discs have yet to disappoint. I have around 1300 VHS movies and have transferred around 30 so far without a problem. I also bought a 200 spindle of Matsumi 4x DVD+R for $69 and have found that 20 or so were garbage and one out of the four I recorded on turned into a coaster. I guess it is true, every DVR has their preference when it comes to discs, and, of course, you get what you pay for. I think i'll stick to the Memorex RW's since they work so well. The only issue I have had with the DRW500 is when taping a show from the satellite receiver in that the sound cuts out for a few seconds around an hour into the copy. I use the RF connector and it usually cuts out for a few seconds, comes back for a few & then cuts out again for a few seconds. It will then be fine for 10 minutes or so and it does it again. I have eliminated this problem by switching to the RCA plugs for taping rather than using the tuner. Has anyone experienced this and, if so, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this sound gap problem? Many Thanks, Steve

6. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hi Guys,I havent posted in this thread for a while,mainly becasue i havent used my DRW500 for some time due to the fact that i killed it one day when it pissed me off once too often :)
    Anyway,just to let you know that I bought a PLextor ConvertX M402 USB capture device,and it works way better than any DVD recorder i have used. It captures MPEG1/2 , DIVX/MPEG4 in AVI format,all in various different bitrates. And it accepts PAL as well as NTSC.
    The results i get from it are very good,I use WinDVD Creator 2 to do my capturing, mostly in DIVX AVI format,I capture a whole bunch of episodes or whatever,then use VSO DivXtoDVD to convert to Mpeg2 for authoring to DVD with DVD Shrink.(I let DivxtoDVD run overnight so the files are all done in the morning)
    With DVD Shrink you can adjust the compression to as low as 50% and still get very good picture quality.
    I really recommend this method to you guys.

7. DUSKKRAZE

DUSKKRAZE Member

After one year and three months using dvd+rw discs I decided to make my first recording using dvd+r.The movie recorded with no problems and after being finalized the disc plays fine on other players but now my recorder will not play any dvd(no disc message).It will only read cd's.Does anyone know how to fix this.

Thanks

8. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

Well, sorry to tell you but you're three months past the warranty :( Mine did the same thing after a few months never even had a chance to use it. As my mother was having major health problems and I had NO time. I was within the year's warranty so took it back to Walmart, and they sent it back for repair.Now I don't know if they actually repaired it,or gave me a "refurbished" one or not. It's funny I was just to this site yesterday in the first time in months. As I'm trying to get all my VHS tapes onto dvd's and I was re-reading past posts. My mother is taking less of my time and I wanted to get it done before the thing goes tits-up :) Now I find out they are no longer making the 4X dvd's, nice, so I guess I had better get a hundred or so while I still have the chance. Trying to figure out how to wire it so I can record dvd's from VHS and still be able to see the menu on the T.V. to finalize etc. Any quick tips would be appreciated, I have what "I think" is right, now I have to test it LOL

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  9. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

Contact Sanyo support and they'll give you an address to send your unit to. It'll probably cost $65 plus your shipping to get it fixed.

10. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

Aybody know if the 8X will work? I can't find any 4X +R only the -R Does anybody have a source for 4X DVD+R? I know the -R's don't work. TIA

11. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

am a panosonic dealer ( also toshiba) & have had a panosic dvd recorder for 2 years ( I get all new products) it failed 3 mos ago before that it was buggy, needed reboots , didn't like certain media (not - or +,, but brands) I got a new Vcr/DVD recorder by Toshiba, priced @ (retail) 279 US. model D-VR$X,, best recorder I've ever seen, has yet to fail on a disc, freeze, & the 6 hr recording is 3X's better than the panasonic,,more than watchable, tuner is fast and the channel up button goes from 99 to L1, than L2,L3 (front panel) have yet to see a disc it doesn't like, ( won't try memorex so no review w/them) bob

12. DUSKKRAZE

DUSKKRAZE Member

On page 8 on this forum,rlim says that 8x memorex work.I personally
    use 2.4x-4x discs.If your looking for +r discs I recommend going to compusa's website.A couple of weeks ago they where selling 4x +r
    (compusa brand 100pk) for $19.99($26.99 w/s&h).You should check this
    site weekly for good deals.

13. faerykiss

faerykiss Member

Okay, how do you get the -r to work? They don't work for me and the manual says they won't work on this recorder. What brand? Since this recorder is so buggy :(

14. usafret

usafret Guest

Believe you have to format the -R discs first..........keep on keeping on!

15. usafret

usafret Guest

Oh forgot on the rest of your question.......... I am hung up on HP brand, it seems so universal..........

16. bobsatguy

bobsatguy Member

you finalize -r disc''at the end,, + r's by verbatium and fuji are good, try not to exceed X's8 speed, many recorders (standalone) don't see them

17. culttvguy

culttvguy Guest

Hi 'Fret.

18. usafret

usafret Guest

Hey 'Cult! Glad to see you're still kicking up dust. I haven't been on this in a while; got tired of all the griping. (Har)
    As for the -R disc versus the +R, here is a quote from a geek site:
    "Is DVD+R a plus? What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R?

Basically, there are two main formats: "dash" (DVD-R/RW) and "plus" (DVD+R/RW). There's not much difference between them. Both can be used to record and play back data and video. Both formats are available as recordable drives for both computers and home video recorders. In spite of claims that one format is more compatible with players and drives, both formats are similarly compatible. There were speed differences, but it's essentially a marketing game of which company can bring the faster technology to market quickest. One format will come out with faster write speeds, then the other one will match it or surpass it. 16x is the theoretical maximum, so both formats have more or less reached top speed. [bold] One key difference is that DVD-R must be pre-formatted, while DVD+R doesn't."
    'Kiss let me know if it works. Thanks..

19. usafret

usafret Guest

[bold]My last comment was for faerykiss..[/bold]regarding the -R discs. Just threw in a howdy to the Cult..

20. Riverrat2

Riverrat2 Member

For Bob: Can you record HBO,SHO, etc., from your dish or cable with your new Toshiba ? We tried a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-GX315 with our DirecTV dish and unit refused to copy premium channels like HBO, Sho, Etc. It kept saying this program was "Protected." Our Sanyo DRW500 does as does our RCA DRC8310 with our DirecTV dish. This sounds like our days of copying movies, etc., might be limited in the future ?