1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sanyo drw500

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rtrg, Jun 1, 2013.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

Can this unit record AUDIO ONLY using either a +DVD, R or RW or a CD-R? Is there a CD+R? IF yes does the VIDEO cable need to be connected even though VIDEO will NOT be present? I plan to transfer my open reel tapes to disc. I can use a vcr but I have an abundance of DVD+Rs I can use as this will be a RAW transfer, no editing. One disc equals on reel. I prefer to use RWs for video as I do with VHS tapes for the same reason,re- recordability.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

You could feed your analog into your sound card and digitize your tapes. How much time is on a reel? What ever, you can compress the music. One thing you might not know is burned DVDs do not last forever. The worst, Sony, start to lose data in about 5 yrs. I have some that are still readable after 10 but I am reburning them before I lose the data.

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

As long as I connect a player to one of the a/v inputs for the sake of the video signal with no disc inserted, I can then connect the audio into the same connector. I have other dvd brands. The unit like all units is picky as to which brand it "LIKES".

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I am fairly sure it will work. I suspect the quality will be inferior by using a movie medium to record audio but then maybe your reel to reel isn't HiFi. Only blue ray has great sound.

5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have already tried it using a cassette recorder with a commercial tape. The sound is fine for me, no better/worse than the cassette. I am using dvd rw because I need the 6 hour record time. CDRs are too short.

6. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have already tried it using a cassette recorder with a commercial tape. The sound is fine for me, no better/worse than the cassette. I am using dvd rw because I need the 6 hour record time. CDRs are too short.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I would suggest this...
    Your R2R are 8 hrs long. CDs can hold about an hr of lossless.

I would do exactly as I suggest. You can't fit 6 hrs of video on a DVD they hold about 3 hrs max unless you compress the hell out of them. The sound quality for a DVD made to be played in TV speakers is very poor. (DVD NOT a Blue Ray) BR has great sound but then they are 60 GB not 9 GB.

Audio is probably less than 10% of the bandwidth of a video. By capturing just the audio with audacity 100% of your bandwidth is audio.

If you compress your lossless to HiFi lossy You can easily fit 8 hrs on a CD. The fidelity will be 10x the audio of a DVD movie. I have tried making 8 hr mp3s without luck. You might be able to make a 6 hr one. If not, what I do is cut the lossless into 1 hr chunks in audacity. You can scroll through the audio for about an hr then break at a gap. This is also more convenient when you play because you can skip through tracks to find a selection.

I would use dbPowerAmp to do the conversion. I think anything that will play a DVD plays a mp3 CD.

8. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I recorded 6 hours of cassettes onto one 6 hour dvd, +RW. No difference in sound quality. The same is true for all other combinations of media in any dubbing direction. My ears are not the best. Not being a techie, I need a simple way to accomplish this. Using software is more than I want to do or have the skills to do. This is fine for me. I have another 6 hour recorder for -RW. I can only think the results would be the same. Good enough for me.

9. Mez

Mez Active member

Well then you have a winner! You have a great attitude. Many techno weenies go overboard trying to preserve perfect sound that their ears can't hear and their speakers will not reproduce.