1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA CABLE

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by NserUame, Dec 29, 2007.

1. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

Alright, I've watched a few videos on how to flash the firmware and I've read various documents off of several sites. However almost all of them skip over the actual process of hooking up the SATA cable to the computer.

I've seen a couple sites say you need a SATA card but it looks like my motherboard has several SATA connections (lack of a better term). Do I still need to hook up a new card to my computer or can I run the cable right off my motherboard (one of the slots is for my hard drive but the others are free). The slots are labeled SATA 12/13 and then the second port is labeled SATA 10 and 11, my hard drive is running to the SATA 13 slot.

I realize I'm not as computer literate as most of you here, but if you'd take the time to answer my question I'd really appreciate it. I looked on this site but couldn't find the answer to my question. Sorry if this has already been asked numerous times.

2. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

it just deoends on what dvd drive you have in your 360.
    look for textbooks guide and it will explain in detail what and how to do it.

3. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

No offense, but I have read the guides. They never say whether you need the PCI/Sata card if you have other SATA ports on the motherboard. If the only reason you need the extra card is because you have an older model computer without the extra slots I really don't wanna drop the $20 on a new card.

My understanding of the process is you're essentially hooking up the 360 to your computer as if it were a second hard drive, I can do that now without a card. So do I need a card? The tutorials are well written and very helpful but in some spots don't provide enough detail for noobs like myself.

Edit: I have a Hitachi DVD drive on my xbox. Not sure of which version as I haven't opened up the console yet.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  4. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

i, being in a good mood this morning will tell you this much, but
    you do need to find and download textbooks guide.

the ms25 can be flashed with almost any sata chipset.

the ms28 is best off with via chipset, although others have been used, several drives have been bricked by useing the same sata card others have had success with, so use caution if you dont use via card.

as for the benq, i have not flashed one as of yet but you will need either the via or nforce.

the hitachi 46, 47 and 59 should flash with any sata card but i spent the 20 bucks and flashed it with sata anyway ( i needed it for the ms 25 and 28 drives).

so you say you have the hitachi drive, open the 360 uo and find what version you have, if you have the 46, 47 or 59 drive than your in luck, but if you have the 78 or 79 drive than there are updates to there progress almost every day so you will need to find that yourself.

although there are many good guides out there the best guide i have ever read is textbooks, i cant express how much you need to get this guide. check 360mods .com.

5. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

The SIL3112a Chipset works better for the older Hitachi models. (pre 78FK)

The VIA 6421a chipset works with everything else, even BENQ's.

My advice would to you is to get the VIA 6421a chipset PCI SATA card and follow the stickies on the top of the forum.

6. NserUame

NserUame Regular member

Sorry to beat a dead horse but today I opened up my console. Turns out I have the Hitachi 46 which isn't surprising since the console was made in 2005. Now I've been reading extensively and there are still a few things I'm not completely clear on but I think I've got a much better understanding.

However I still have one main question. Is there a high chance of bricking my console (or screwing it up, whatever the technical term is) by using my pre-existing SATA ports? It's a Gigabyte motherboard which isn't the best but it's done me fine. I'm just concerned that as a novice if it makes it more difficult I'll screw up and be out a console (then I'd have to figure out how to flash a benq...god forbid), so if it's worth the $20 to guarantee the job gets done I have no issue with it. I'd just be happier without having to clutter up my PC more than it already is.

Also on a side note, the smallest screwdriver in an eyeglass set (flat head) worked perfectly for getting the tabs on the back.

7. fudpucker

fudpucker Regular member

it should work but there are no guarantees.
    there is always a chance of bricking a drive but my biggest fear of doing such is a power failure.
    if you read and understand the guide you are safe.