1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sata dvdrw working with sata hdd issues?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Scorpio78, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Scorpio78

Scorpio78 Member

i have a samsung SATA 500Gb 16m cache hdd and a Asus SATA Dvdrw and everytime i install somthing from dvd or copy files from dvd it locks up my pc or takes forever. i.e installing splinter cell Double Agent takes over 6 hrs to install.
    i have 4Gb of memory and running a amd 64 X2 6000+ 3.0ghz on an abit AN-M2 motherbord.

i think it has to do with the sata dvdrw and the sata hdd working together because if i install a program off th hdd it takes no time at all but if i put a dvd in the drive it will let me get through the set up to install then lock up? im at a loss an what to do next?
    should i have bought an ide dvdrw?

chris
    [edited by lethal]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2007
  2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

no posting e-mails please ;-)

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Try switching round which ports the drives use and which cables, in case you have a faulty one. Which games have you installed on the system? Your PC might have been infected with starforce.

4. Scorpio78

Scorpio78 Member

i tried to switch the ports and cables and still the same thing.
    im just trying to install retail games and its not working its like the hdd and the dvdrw will not work at the same time during install?
    but it lets me burn dvds and cds at max speeds like nothings wrong? also i can multi task like heck when im not trying to read a disc?
    now i know there have been some issues with the asus 1814blt drive but i tried a different drive and still the same thing?

also i have reformated the hdd and still get the same issues?

im running AMD X2 6000+ 3.0ghz,Abit AN-M2 mb,2x2Gb OCZ ddr2 800,8800gts,530watt PS, samsung 500Gb 16mb cache sata hdd, and an asus drw-1814blt dvdrw drive.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Which retail games?
    Starforce comes with real retail games like Splinter cell double agent, Trackmania United, GT-R and many others. If you bought a game with it, it may have destroyed your optical drive. it's happened to hundreds of people, myself included on multiple occasions.

6. Scorpio78

Scorpio78 Member

the only games i have installed right now is madden 08,tiger woods 07 and they took like an hour each to install. and like i said my drive works for everything but installing games mostly large dvd dl games?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I stand corrected, double agent is securom.
    As far as I know, neither of those games use SF. however, have you ever installed any other games on this install of windows?
    Although starforce is not in itself a virus (though just as harmful) it is installed like one, so you have to be careful.
    Does the DVDRW have any issues writing discs?

8. Scorpio78

Scorpio78 Member

no other games where ever installed. and yes it burns dvds and cds just fine.
    aslo
    how can i check if it is starforce?

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

go to your device manager (right click my computer, go properties, then hardware, then click device manager) and then click view, and select show hidden devices.
    Go to the non-plug-and-play devices section. If there's anything labeled star force in there, you have it. if not, I can't guarantee that you haven't, but you probably won't.

10. Scorpio78

Scorpio78 Member

nothing there starforce related. could it be the hdd?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I'm doubtful, all I can suggest is to try a different one of each if you have any.