1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA Hard Drive w/ HDAdvance or Loader

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dontbugme, Dec 28, 2004.

1. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

Is there any possible way to connect a SATA Hard Drive to the Sony PS2 Network adapter. Maybe an extra cable or plugin that will connect to the SATA Hard drive and then back to the IDE connector on the Sony PS2 Network adapter.

I really really wish this was possible, since I have a spare 120gig SATA Hard Drive and don't wan't to buy another IDE Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance.

2. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

3. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

4. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

Functionally...maybe...

However, I seriously doubt the hard drive AND that adapter will fit in the space for the hard drive. I'm 99.9% sure of this, but feel free to prove me wrong =). It's pretty tight in there.

5. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

I know that the Sony Network Adapter will need to be modded to fit (outside the expansion bay) but I was just wanting to know if it was possible to use a SATA Hard Drive instead of IDE.

6. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

Even if you mod that sata adapter so that the connectors are higher (obviously the hard drive would sit way too low unmodded), I would think that it pushes the hard drive too far forward for the connector from the network adapter to the PS2 to plug in. There's not much room in front of the hard drive...it depends on how far up and how far back is possible on a network adapter mod.

You're prolly going to have to blaze the trail on this one =). HDAdvance and HDLoader are moderately finicky about hard drives, so the only way to know is to do it. I haven't read any stories of being able to use SATA drives in any of the guides I've read recently. I would think it was something worth mentioning if someone had gotten it working.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  7. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

I think this is very much possible (modding the Network Adapter of course) especially after seeing this quote on another PSX forum (which contains the link I posted earlier).

Seems like I am not the only one to give up on using the damn SATA's with the PS2 (after all, SATA are supposed to be better). I will let you know within a few days (or whenever my damn order comes). Wish me luck ;)

8. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Well, SATA drive are better but not really by much. A decent EIDE HDD running at 7200RPM will transfer data usually at 133Mb/sec whereas a SATA drive transfers at 150Mb/sec which breaks down to about a 11.34% performance increase. In my opinion, not worth spending the extra money and time trying to accomplish something that might work. I'd just get an EIDE drive that's known to work unless your goal is solely to prove that this will work.

9. dontbugme

dontbugme Member

My goal is not to simply "show" that it is possible. I have an extra SATA drive I want to use for the PS2 and I don't want to have to buy an additional IDE drive.

It should be here by Monday or Tuesday. I will post how things go.

10. IguanaC64

IguanaC64 Member

This also assumes your hard drive is actually cranking out more data...having a faster bus doesn't mean the HD is *using* it =). Having a bigger memory cache on your HD does more for you than having a bigger bus. That being said...I like sata cables WAY more than 40 pin IDE flat ribbons =).

11. Poohstyx

Poohstyx Guest

Wouldn't it be far easier to find somebody local to swap drives with?

12. brother

brother Member