1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA Problem? Help!?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Tminus3, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Tminus3

Tminus3 Member

I found this site not too long ago and have liked what I've been reading. I just built a new machine about a month ago. I'm running a ABit Fatal1ty AA8XE motherboard, 1gig ddr2 ram, 3.0ghz p4 hyperthreaded,
    SATA 160gb WesternDigital HD, and a SATA Plextor PX-712SA DVDR Drive.

I've been trying to get good rips and burns of my dvd movies for quite some time but with NO luck! DVD Shrink gives me constant Cyclic Redundancy errors, Decryptor gives me read errors, and when using other software such as XCopy the burns freeze up and are worthless. At this point I should go into the coaster business.

At this point I dont know what to do. This is my first system with SATA and am not sure if I have something setup wrong. I notice that everytime I read form a dvd the harddrive light goes crazy or stays solid. I have the harddrive plugged into SATA connection 2 on the motherboard and the plextor drive plugged into SATA connection 1. I left the hardrive jumper alone, set to master (i believe). Another thing I've noticed is that when I go into device manager (running windows xp sp2) the drive is a px-712a (shouldnt it be 712-(s)a ?).
    In the bios I have the sata set to IDE mode, i am not running RAID, only have one harddrive. I have done firmare updates and bios updates. Someone PLEASE help!!! Do i have a bad drive? or do i need a lesson in SATA?

2. Tminus3

Tminus3 Member

When running DVD Shrink and trying to Analyze "Saw" it gets 57% way through and freezes EVERY time. Other movies wont even start to be read. Also VERY unhappy with the read time. Averages 1,700 kb. Please help.

3. forkman

forkman Member

I've just had a look at the Plextor web site http://www.plextor.be/technicalserv... and tricks&language=English&printer=False#g7
    and found this
    - Is the PX-712SA, with serial ATA interface, compatible with every Motherboard that has SATA interface ?

The PX-712SA works on most motherboards when equipped with Serial ATA interface (SATA), however, one should check with the manufacturer of the motherboard if the SATA supports optical devices. In some cases the SATA controllers do need a BIOS upgrade to support optical devices other controllers do not support it at all.

I would suggest putting the harddrive into the Sata 1 port as I belive
    its the equivalant of the primary ide port and the Plextor into the sata 2 port.
    As for the bios I do not think it should be set to ide, best bet is to go to the motherboards web site and see if they have any info on your problem.
    Good luck mate.

4. Tminus3

Tminus3 Member

I looked on Abit's webpage and PX-712A is supported... I try other movies that I know are just fine and they freeze just like "Saw". Please help.