1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA v IDE

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by GVR, Mar 22, 2005.

1. GVR

GVR Member

right guys, i have a custom built PC and im trying to install a new hard drive. Its a Hitachi Deskstar 7k250 s-ata. Ive just taken out my old hard drive and realised that the power connecter doesnt fit my new one. HELP!!!!! do i need to purchase a new connector/hard drive? or can i fix this? its driving me mad!

2. GVR

GVR Member

help is desperately required before i just force in the deskstar...

3. baabaa

baabaa Active member

[​IMG]

You can pick these up ten a penny, ebay or a local pc store..................

4. GVR

GVR Member

thanks mate, just in time, you saved it from the sledge hammer

5. baabaa

baabaa Active member

LOL, I am all for [bold]Saving the PC[/bold]

6. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

GVR -- I assume your motherboard has an SATA controller and connectors too? right Mate?

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Good point starbuck.................:)

8. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Thanks Baabaa, we can't forget our SATA ports and 7-pin Serial ATA device cable, right GVR?? What mobo make and model do you have?? Keep us posted.

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

'A little off topic' but relevant to it........

Starbuck, have you used the standard 7200rpm SATA's at all and how do you compare them with the 'Raptor' 10000rpm ones as used as a primary hard drive (root drive)?

10. indienemo

indienemo Guest

Im looking to do something similar to this as well (Convert IDE to SATA) but the cheapest one I can see these babies for is £12.99 on ebay, and I need two of them so a little more than I'd like to pay TBH...

Does anyone know any direct distributors that would have this cheaper?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
  11. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Baabaa, I have a 10k rpm WD Raptor as primary boot drive (ie: C) and it screams. It's incredible and love it (almost as much as my wife! DOH!). However, I have not yet done any benchmarking with the same make/model at 7200 rpm. .... I'd go with the 10,000 rpm just knowing that in the future you may be sipping on a brewskie thinking to yourself, "Hmmmm, I wonder if I should have bought the 10,000 rpm and how much faster and better it is.". ... just a thought. I'll let you know if I get into any benchmarking with the drives. .. still doing benchmarks with my G800 GT on my new machine. .. soon I will overclock the biatch and see the improvements.

Ind- try this site www.newegg.com for your shopping and if anyone can find devices cheaper let me know, since I buy, install, fix, upgrade all the time. Thanks in advance!!

12. indienemo

indienemo Guest

I found one on ebuyer for £5.19 approx. $10.50

Im gonna check newegg now and see how much it is on there...

Starbuck1 its worth checking out ebuyer as well if your always on the lookup for components they seem pretty cheap (Ive ordered there twice before).

13. indienemo

indienemo Guest

14. GVR

GVR Member

Went down to a local pc store, one that ive used before and can vouch for, employees are helpful and not out to screw you. So i said to the bloke, (SATA hard drive in hand) Im looking for a cable to connect this to my PC. "right mate it will be about 12 quid" ok thats fine I thought, could have been worse. "You do have a SATA motherboard right?" he asked. Stared at him. sh!t. I didnt know. So I asked him how I'd know, he explained, it turned out my motherboard is IDE. P1ss it.
    So we chowed about motherboards and he said it would be around 40 for a new one - what do you guys reckon on that? Then I asked if i could install it myself and he said it could be tricky.
    Then I showed him my new power supply and DVD RW which both turn out to be SATA's.

Does anyone reckon i should just build a new PC with all this SATA hardware or install the new motherboard and connect them up to it? And what are your views on installing a motherboard?

Cheers, GVR

15. heybilly

heybilly Regular member

ehh just buy a pci sata controller

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hmmm are you sure about that statment? Why wouldn't the bloke tell you about an easy to install PCI controller card? Probably because he was trying to get some more money for a mobo. LOL

17. indienemo

indienemo Guest

ur probably right there

18. indienemo

indienemo Guest

would a pci sata controller work for me also, or would it be cheaper to get IDE to SATA converters?

19. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what motherboard do you have???

20. indienemo

indienemo Guest

me? I dunno off hand but it has 4 SATA ports on the board