1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SATA vs IDE drives?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by mister0, Dec 7, 2007.

1. troybunda

troybunda Member

Either way your gonna get just about the same proformance, but SATA drives usually cost more so i would go with the cheaper one! good luck!

2. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

If givin the choice i would go SATA the Samsung 203b would be a good chioce and at $29.99 i paid from Newegg it isn't anymore expensive than a good IDE drive.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No, the drive won't necessarily be destroyed instantaneously, that's just a byproduct of it. It happens over time.
    I wouldn't recommend Samsung drives, from what I've heard the quality of the burn on the disc is very poor and causes issues with things like standalone DVD players. I'd recommend going with something by LG or Liteon.

4. REAM

REAM Guest

I COULD NEVER recommend LGs, had to RMA mine 3 times, and then ended up selling it. it would make high pitch sqeeling, and then scratch my dics to peices.

then i bought this:
    Samsung SH-S203N
    and for about 6 months now it has been angelic and bloody quiet.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had two LG drives and both have run flawlessly from start to end. I know lots of people who've had Samsung drives and they've been noisy, slow, or gave very poor quality writes. This is why I've never bought one.

6. REAM

REAM Guest

different experiences, diffferent opinoins :D

altough i would deffo suggest the best drives on the planet. Pioneer

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2007
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

O RLY?
    A friend of mine had a Pioneer. It was quiet, but he did have some issues with it I believe. Not having had any issues with LG drives, they sit above Pioneer in my books on that basis. Do you not mean Plextor?

8. REAM

REAM Guest

AYE, plextor. wrote that fistly, then eidited it, thinking i had got the wrong name :S

sometimes i am a real idiot :p

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

lol don't worry.

10. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Then you heard wrong ask 10 different people and you will get 10 different answers.I have had excellent results with the Samsung 203b.Highly regarded burner with a 91 page thread at cdfreaks that praise this particular burner.
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sh-s203b-scans-discussion-here-so-close-220466/

I also get excellent results with the Samsung S-183L's.They all play fine with all my standalone(Philips,Bose321,Pioneer)players.
    [​IMG]

11. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

A byproduct of Starforce? which ill take your word for because i know nothing about Starforce.As far as being destroyed from sliping in PIO mode from read errors than no because i have thousands of burns on my Ben-Q 1640's and when there destroyed it will be from old age and heavy use.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Read errors alone won't kill the drive, that's my point. The starforce software will a) cause read errors and b) kill the drive.

13. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

Read errors alone won't kill the drive that was what i was saying.As far as the starforce software never had any dealings with it so it is no concern to me.

As for sliping into PIO mode those days are behind me all my computers are all SATA except one and it wont be runing IDE drive's much longer.