1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saving mp3 files as data

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by roperman, Feb 20, 2003.

1. roperman

roperman Member

I am new at downloading music, but not sure how to save my files (currently 4,500KB)to a smaller size to store as data on a CD. A friend once gave me a CD with over a 100 songs.
    I use a TDK 40/12/48x CDR. My computer is a Compaq 5000, Windows (Mel). The software I use for burning is TDK Digital Mixmaster (also has Nero).

One note (which will probably help you answer): when I go to burn a CD, the drop-down box will show "would you like to";
    - Record an audio CD
    - Record a CD ROM
    - Copy a CD
    - Create 'Aiff audio' file
    - Create Twin VQ Version 2.0++ format audio file
    -Create PCM wavefile audio file
    (I really do not understand what the final 3 selections actually do)Normally, I select one of the top 3, BUT I noticed that in the next dialog box, a selection "Create a new data compilation" is available to check. (I'm not sure what this is either.
    Sorry! I really am a newbie and really appreciate your help!!

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Simply choose 'Record a CD-ROM'. In Nero the choice is New--->CD-ROM (ISO).

For your information:
    - "Audio CD" will create an audio CD that can be played in a standard CD-player. The .mp3 will be converted in uncompressed .wav (which need 10.1 MB of disk space for every minute of song) and then burned. You can burn up to 74 min of songs on a 74min/650 MB CD and 80 min of songs on a 80 min/700 MB CD.
    - "Copy a CD" will do a copy of a recorded CD you put in the CD-reader.

The other options are for audio file conversion, I would not mess with those until you learn a bit of that stuff.