1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saving thumbnails from Media Player Classic

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by lansub, Feb 16, 2008.

1. lansub

lansub Member

I just recently downloaded Media Player Classic (for Windows 98) so that I could save sequential thumbnails from various videos of mine, a la: [​IMG]

Unfortunately, every time I try to do this, I get the error message "Invalid image format, cannot create thumbnails out of 16 bpp dibs."

I have no idea what this means, but it's preventing me from saving thumbnails using this program. I googled the error message and found someone with a similar problem who was told to "change the color depth on the video preferences to 24bits or 32bits" to solve the problem, but I don't see this option anywhere. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance,

-A

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know what it means either.
    I run XP and this is the settings that I use to capture thumbs.
    View > Options > Playback > Output.
    Change the settings and exit MPC then open up the video again.
    Try saving to bmp and jpg.

[​IMG]

3. lansub

lansub Member

I tried setting it to those settings and then saving the thumbnails again in both jpg and bmp, but still got the same "Invalid image format, cannot create thumbnails out of 16 bpp dibs" error message. Is there anything else I should try?

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Are you talking about right clicking the desktop, go to Properties->Settings->"Colour Quality", and set it for 24 or 32bit ?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  5. lansub

lansub Member

I did this, changed the settings to 24 bit, restarted and tried again and got the same error message except this time it said "Invalid image format, cannot create thumbnails out of 24 bpp dibs" instead of 16 bpp dibs.

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Did you try 32 bit?

7. lansub

lansub Member

32 bit doesn't appear to be an option...when I right click the Desktop, go to Properties and then to Settings, it gives me 4 options under "Colors": 16 Colors, 256 Colors, High Color (16 bit), and True Color (24 bit). It was on High Color (16 bit) to start with, but I don't see any mention of 32 bit anywhere in the Settings.

8. attar

attar Senior member