1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

saw keeps cutting me down

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mjlucky13, Feb 15, 2005.

1. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

i have tried everything i know of....DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, DVD43. i keep getting redundancy error at 56%. cant use AnyDVD, because trial ran out and cant afford to buy it at the moment. i also backed up my copy of taxi and 1/2 way thru the movie the backup went crazy and everything was little green boxes. please someone help. this is driving me crazy.

2. brobear

brobear Guest

If the redundancy error is due to unreadable sector encryption and AnyDVD was doing the job of processing those files and the other programs aren't; I'd say bite the bullet and buy the program. You could set Decrypter to skip unreadable sectors, but that setting can have you missing important files sometimes.

3. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

i appreciate your response brobear. DVD43 was working earlier in the day but it stopped doing anything about an hour ago. i put a dvd in and the smiley face shoots flames and then goes green but it the dvd is still encoded. have i done something wrong?

4. brobear

brobear Guest

DVD43 isn't kept up to date like AnyDVD. Possibly the DVD43 ran into an encryption system it couldn't break. What was the DVD you were having the problem with or did it start messing up with all DVDs? Did you check a DVD you'd done earlier that had been decrypted by the DVD43?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I did Saw with AnyDVD had no problems at all. I sent a private message to you mjlucky13 about your problem.

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I ripped this with shrink by itself over a week ago. Make sure the disc is clean and buff it out the best you can. Even the slightest mar can affect ripping.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  7. brobear

brobear Guest

If not the encryption, then there are a number of possibilities; among those a smudged disc. Hopefully you make sure all of your discs are clean. Polishing them with an old soft cotton T works well. The disc needs to be as free of scratches as possible. The more scratches, the more the chance of read errors. A resurfacing tool like Skip Dr helps as long as the scratches aren't too deep. A dirty optical head can be a problem as well. Cleaning the head with a cleaner is easy maintenance. Then of course you can get into equipment problems like a failing drive.

8. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

i got AnyDVD running, started to try and shrink saw. AnyDVD said my burner needed DVD Region+CSS Free. went to www.rpc1.com and downloaded what i needed for my burner. i never had to do that before. and i have backed up well 150 movies. anyway start up shrink and it says it is not encrypted and it does fine until it gets to 57%. cyclic redundancy error. so 8 hours and several peoples help later i am still where i was. the disc is brand new, no smudges, no scratches. so the only possibility left is the drive itself. i am going to try another movie and see what happens. if anyone has a clue what i am talking about and knows what i need to do, thanks.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Brand new doesn't mean shit. I have had to return new movies before because there were some tiny mars(barley noticable) that didn't alow me to back up. My girlfriend thought I was crazy(she didn't notice anything), but after exchanging them my problem was solved. Try exchanging the dvd before any drastic measures. Good luck.

10. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

i think it may be a bad disc. i put a couple other ones in and they worked fine. i put saw back in and when i tried to shrink it said redundancy error before it even got started.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You have to make sure its clean and scratch free if it is then you have a flaw in the DVD itself.

12. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

thank you to everyone who has tried to help me with this problem. i greatly appreciate it and hope to be able to return the favor one day. thank you

13. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Just in case, try turning off ANYDVD and DVD43 first. Then try ripping it again with shrink by itself. The reason I suggest this is because a lot of people have had problem when these are running in the background. Hope this does it.

14. mjlucky13

mjlucky13 Member

it came straight out of the box. i only touched the edges. not fingerprint on it much less a scratch. hopefully it is just a bad disc. i believe it is.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDInfoPro is a freeware utility. I use this one myself. You can check the DVD for errors. Download the app and install it. http://www.dvdinfopro.com Put in the DVD, open DVDInfoPro, click on the icon with the magnifying glass, make sure you have the right drive selected and start the test. If the problem occurs at about 57% of completion, you should see errors just past the first half of the grid if errors are causing the problem.

Since it is just the particular disc causing the problem, you probably have a bad disc and DVDInfoPro can confirm that if it's the case. Next time you run into a similar problem you can run the same check and probably save yourself a lot of time. I've run into this personally. I've had a disc play in a standalone just fine, but would not record due to an error in production that caused a read error on a PC. The disc looked new, but the error was in the dye from when the ROM was pressed (not a visible problem).

16. brobear

brobear Guest

mjlucky13
    That was strange about needing Region Free with AnyDVD. I never ran across that one and I own both apps. I guess strange things do happen. I got AnyDVD after owning Region Free for a while. Since AnyDVD does what Region Free does, only better, I've never needed to use the Region Free again. Also, Slysoft updates the AnyDVD faster than Fengtao does with the Region Free.
    Here are the official sites for the programs:
    http://www.slysoft.com
    http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm

17. Boricua18

Boricua18 Member

i tried burninng saw with dvd decrypter and it got 97 % done then stopped. I dont think it is because it is new i burned hitch no problem.

18. brobear

brobear Guest

It's really not a matter of newer or not. It's just the encryption system in use. Some are more difficult than others. I've become a fan of AnyDVD, but I've always liked the DVD Decrypter. There are still a few instances where I need to turn off the AnyDVD and run Decrypter alone. I just found out that the 2 don't play well together with part 1 of "Fellowship of the Ring - Extended version". With AnyDVD and DVDD, I got sound, but no video and when I went to burn, I got an encryption error. With Decrypter alone, no problems. Then, like you, I've run into the rare case where encryption has caused problems with the DVD Decrypter. So, it pays to have as many tools as possible when it comes to doing a lot of backups, especially with the encryption systems developed over the past year.

19. Boricua18

Boricua18 Member

thanks alot i will try any dvd or another decrypter besides dvd decrypter