1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SAW the movie problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by noggle, Mar 20, 2005.

1. noggle

noggle Member

using dvd-r discs and they werent cheap, i burned the dvd with decrypter and with 20 minutes left while playin on my dvd player the movie starts skipping, freezing and eventually stops. but decrypter said a successful write

2. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Just use Nero & shrink I haven't had any problems with those two.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

try lowering the burn speed, no multi-tasking during burn, and the obvious - check burner firmware

4. Ppower

Ppower Regular member

The exact same happend to me with skipping and freezing. I burned it at 8x the first time. I did it again at 2x and it came out perfect

5. creaky

cool. i have a very quick modern pc, but more importantly everything's up to date, i don't touch pc, but i guess most importantly, i use v good media also.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If the playback problems occur near the end of the disc then reducing the target file size to 4,350MB will help too :)

7. creaky

argh, forgot about setting the target file size.

any joy in finding where these adverts keep coming from, and you notice how they follow the posts down the threads ?

8. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Go to forum news and all will be revealed re ads.

9. creaky

cheers, it was too obvious for me to look there lmao

10. firefx9

firefx9 Guest

I agree with the guy that said Shrink and Nero. i ripped without ANY trouble with Shrink and burned with Nero. Now my original can reat while I enjoy the bkup! I had a lot of problems trying to burn with Other software. Nero has been winning that game hands down.

11. seandesad

seandesad Guest

creaky, I had the same thing happen to me.. lowered burning speed havent had a problem since.

12. creaky

seandesad - nice one. glad we could help

13. rmcrae1

rmcrae1 Member

Make sure you update your firmware regardless. up to date firmware makes for much better burns. I upgraded mine and am now able to burn at 8-16x with no problems. (I also had the same skipping and jumping during the last 20 minutes of movies.) Firmware tells your burner how to burn certain kinds of media, and is absolutely vital to keep up to date, otherwise your burner may not burn well onto certain media.

14. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

noggle

The problem might not be the burn, it could be your standalone player. This kind of problem was common when DVD burners hit the market because some standalones had problems reading DVD media. What make of media are you using?

As Neph stated a reduced target size can helpful if you're burning to close to the outer edge.

15. sadsac

sadsac Guest

You said you were using dvd-r media. You never said what brand of DVD player you were using. It may not be compatible with "-" media. You may have to use "+" media.

Tell us what kind of player you have.

Also, you said you were using expensive blank media. What brand are you using?

I had a very expensive dvd player with dolby digital 5.1 outputs on it (Sony), which wouldn't play any burned media. I bought a $25 ESA from Circuit City that plays anything I throw at it.

16. noggle

noggle Member

i used dvd-r and dvd+r for the movie SAW while using the full backup and it froze at the last 20 mins of the film but when in dvd shrink i jus used the main movie it worked perfect on all my dvd players but i hate the way the picture size is so small in widescreen when u re-author

17. sadsac

sadsac Guest

DVD shrink in re-author mode has nothing to do with the size of the picture. It doesn't alter the size of the video. That's pretty much set unless you use some sort of editor to change the aspect ratio.

I know that VOB blanker allows you to change the ratio, but DVD shrink leaves it unaltered.

If you're having those types of problems out of DVD shrink, you must be doing something different than everyone else.

18. noggle

noggle Member

no ders definetly sometin different wen using re-author cus if u do the full back up the picture is full screen and this re-author isnt even widescreen its way smaller, alot of black bout 3/8 of the screen

19. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Your original probably has both the "standard" or "full screen" version and the "widescreen" version on it.

You must have dragged over the "widescreen" version when you re-authored. There's probably two complete movies on your original. Go back and check it. I'm sure I'm right on this.

In full disk mode, expand the "main movie" folder and see if there isn't two versions there. They will also show up on the right in re-author mode.

20. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

I agree, I backed up the movie "SAW" using DVD Shrink in Re-Author mode. I use NERO for burning as well. As for DVD Shrink & Wide Screen & Full Scren, it's true that a lot of DVDs have BOTH versions on them. Usually Title 1 is Wide Screen and the next is Full screen, NO DVD Shrink does NOT alter the format whatsoever. By the way, my backup of SAW plays Great! DVD Shrink & Nero can back up most movies, except the "Arccos" (Sony) new ones. all by thereselves.