1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scanlines problem in 480i on Samsung TXN2771HF

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by thatzdude, Apr 21, 2005.

1. thatzdude

thatzdude Member

well, i must first admit that i am a total 100% hd newb, and probably have no idea what im talking about, but i'll do my best to explain the situation.

I bought my txn2771hf from best buy last year around may 2004, and noticed a few problems. one was that the text on dvd or video games (ps2, gamecube, and yamaha dvd player, all hooked up through component video) looked extremely grainy, and there are fairly noticeable scanlines shooting accross moving images (especially over the color red). While it was under warranty, i had a technician replace both the feature box and the chassis. When I told him about the lines, he said it was a dead give away that my feature box was defective. But now, he has pretty much rebuilt my tv, and im still noticing the problem. However, ive now realized that the scanline problem only occurs in 480i, and not 480p. The picture looks beautiful in 480p. From reading threads on various wesites, I've learned how to access the service menu, and how to use it to fix the grainy text problem. But I still have the scanlines in 480i.

Is there anyone who can tell me if there is something in the service menu I can change, or am just nuts?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What kind of cables are you using when you are watching in 408i mode? Are you sure the cable isn't broken?

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What kind of cables are you using when you are watching in 408i mode? Are you sure the cable isn't broken?

4. thatzdude

thatzdude Member

I'm pretty sure the cables are not broken. I've noticed all three units, (the gamecube, ps2, and yamaha dvd player) all present this problem, and each one of them is using their own set of component video cables. Actually, the dvd player is using a set of monster cables, and the ps2 and gamecube are using standard black cables (correct terminology?) You see, the reason I know it is in 480i only is because the dvd player and ps2 i own do not support progressive scan at all. I first noticed the problem on my dvd player when watching an anime cartoon. My brother however has a panasonic dvd player with progressive can, and when i swapped it out, it looked fine. The gamecube however, does support progressive scan, but only with certain games. The games that support progressive scan ask you right when you start the game, if you would like to switch to progressive mode or not. Again, the games that don't support progressive scan have the scanline problem, but the games that do support progressive scan look beautiful.

Thank you for your reply! Please let me know if there is any other information that I left out.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Just so you know, PS2 does support progressive scan. Is there an option on your tv that will let you turn progressive scan on and off?

6. thatzdude

thatzdude Member

Well, there is not an option on the regular consumer menu, and if there is one in the service menu, its definately not labled "Progressive Scan: On/Off or 0/1." That was my first thought as well, that maybe you had to turn the progressive mode off on the tv itself, but I've looked around the tv and read the manual, and I can't find anything!

Are you sure all the ps2s support progressive scan? It was my understanding that the first model ps2s did not support progressive scan (the model that I have), and then later the ps2+ was released, and it did support it. The ps2+ was released about a year after I bought mine, and they come in specially marked boxes with a yellow corner at the bottom right with big blue + in the middle of it. I just read through my ps2 manual and looked over the box, and it doesn't say anything about supporting progressive scan. There's nothing on the ps2's sytem configuration options either.

This particular problem has been mentioned by a few people on other sites. They ended up taking their tv back and getting a whole new tv, a completely different brand and everything. However none of them took advantage of the 1-year in-home service warranty that Samsung offers. I did, and they were really nice about fixing my tv, and even extended my warranty 2 times. However, they never asked me to show them an example of what was happening, which is kind of a bummer, because after all their hard work, the problem isn't fixed, and I really don't think they know what the problem is. Obviously not many other people do either, otherwise I'd be getting more posts! I posted this same message on hdtvoice.com, I've gotten 50 views, but no replies! Anyway if you have any more information, I'll take it! I really appreciate the effort!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Man, I know how it is when your tv has little glitches. I had to finally demand bestbuy to give me a replacement on my bedroom tv(36" Sony Wega) after 7 repairmen tried to fix it over the last 3 and a half years. I had paid extra for the extended service plan and even after 3 repairs, they didn't want to refund my money even though it says they will in the plan.

Anyway, if you are able to get an exchange on your tv, go for it. Maybe that is all you can do at this point. Good luck

8. thatzdude

thatzdude Member

Oh man....sounds like an up hill battle to me! Thank you very much for your help.

9. deyes

deyes Member

Try switching the red AV input for the red component input and that should clear the problem right up. I made that mistake breifly on the very same TV.