1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scart to s.video

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by vomogs, Feb 23, 2007.

1. vomogs

vomogs Member

Hi All
    At present I'm recording VHS to DVD via my scart to capture card (Hauppauge 150)using audio mini jack and composit video. Would I get a better quality pic if I wired the scart to a 4 pin mini din(s video)? I have the wiring diagram, but not sure if the benefits would be worth the work. Anyone tried it? The capture card obviously has s.video in.
    Cheers Vomog.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Composite is by far the worst quality option. Anything is better, even s-video. That being said, VHS is poor quality to start with. You can't polish a turd, so don't expect miracles. Did you clean the heads, get the tracking spot on etc?

3. vomogs

vomogs Member

Cheers for that Indochine. I used the co-axial from vhs to card before,but I could never get stereo.At least I get it with present system. Surely composit is better than using the antennae cable?
    Vomogs

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Yes, composite is (just about) better than using the RF output from your VCR, but only just. You'll still get all the same colour shift, dot crawl etc due to the signal being PAL encoded. I presume you're in a PAL country, since you have a SCART socket on your VCR. If not, substitute "NTSC" there. (Even worse!)

However you may find that when you wire up your SCART-to-mini-DIN cable, you only get black and white results. Like I did with my Sony VCR.

This is because S-Video was not part of the original SCART standard, and not every SCART-compatible device supports it for this reason.

quote from another forum

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=739609

I found this on Wikipedia

If you are successful, S-video is still an encoded signal as composite is, so considering the source material is VHS tape, don't expect miracles.

If you are happy with Avisynth, there is a VHS tape filter which is supposed to clean up video files captured off VCRs. Also VirtualDub has a VHS filter.

http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/cleaning.ars

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  5. vomogs

vomogs Member

Thanks for that Indochine. Think I'll try Virtualdub.
    Vomogs