1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scattered regular and green pixels

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by presb2k, Jun 17, 2007.

1. presb2k

presb2k Member

This was my first attempt to backup a dvd by following the "How to copy DVDs using DVD Shrink" guide. Because the movie was less than 4.38g I went straight to Nero Burning ROM and reduced the speed from the max 8x to a 6x to be safe. I am using TDK DVD-Rs I recently bought. Tried it first on WMP and could hardly see past the green that was almost completely covering the screen. I could make out shapes behind it. For poops and giggles threw it in the dvd player which hardly showed any green but the pixels were all over the place. It was like a consistent skip like it wasnt being accelerated fast enough with both the audio and video...Im sure the $13/50 pack TDKs dont help this is on a new laptop with 8x Optiarc. Please help I tried to follow instuctions to a T. Many Thanks
    -Preston

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

most TDK media will code out as CMC mag same as memorex which isn't your best choice use Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim and try burning at 4x

Laptops aren't the best for backing up DVDs

also make sure your drive/burner has the latest firmware update ,check here

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

But the main thing is to DUMP the TDK media!!

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Since you got the green color you might need to remove the Macrovision protection. Use DVDFAB HD Decrypter (free) to rip the DVD to the HD first and then use Nero Recode to do the movie.

DVDFAB HD Decrypter: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hello presb2k,
    I agree 100% with both aabbccdd, and Car.Mike on this one. You could use better media and you need to be using more uptodate methods for backing up your DVD movies.

Give this guide a go http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494836

Let us know how it goes from there :)

Cheers

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Let's see if I understand this--
    1) The picture looked bad. It is the fault of the disc.
    2) The rip settings were wrong, and that made the picture bad. It's the disc's fault.
    3) The drive is a Sony/NEC laptop drive. It's the disc's fault.
    4) The drive is 8X, and the media are probably 16X. It's the disc's fault.

Interesting.

6. presb2k

presb2k Member

Success!! All I needed was the DVDFab Decrypt and problem solved. Bbmayo: great guide my friend very hard to misenterpret any of the steps. I wish i would have stumbled on yours instead of the other one first, which gave no recomendation on any ripping method. Apparently dragging and dropping with Windows isnt very effective...? Now hopefully these TDKs will hold up for me. Thanks so much for yalls quick and helpful responses I am new to this but this seems like a really great interactive community yall have established. Many thanks.

7. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

presb2k,
    Glad you are up an running. Just remember to use that program to remove Macrovision which is what caused the Green pixelization. Just dropping the files into the program does not remove it. You really should consider better blank media and if you are in the US look at Bestbuy's Sunday's Adds. They sometimes have Verbatim on sale for $14.99 for 50

8. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

If your drive is set up for TDK media, they will hold up. The drive is probably set up properly for Verbatim; and they will hold up, too. The cause of the problem was Macrovision, but the blame--as usual--went to the discs if they were not either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. And if TY or Verbatim discs don't work--why, they must be counterfeit because even God Himself uses them (pays full price, too!)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hello JoeRyan, Nice to see you around again :)

Glad to see you have it figured out presb2k if you want to chaeck out a few other ways to backup your DVD's then you can check out the links in my signature. The one you used is probably the best way to backup your DVD's using free proggies however there are a bunch of different methods you can use I would say use one you are comfortable with and will produce good results.

Cheers