1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scene Skipping with Dr. Divx

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by tosco, Oct 5, 2004.

1. tosco

tosco Guest

I use smart ripper to back up my dvds. From there, I open up Dr. Divx and select the .vob's (all at once), and encode them as continuous. I DO NOT encode each vob individually.

The problem I am having, is I notice on quite a few dvd encodings, there is some scene skipping.. For most DVDs its nothing terrible, 95% of the movie is fine, but it is annoying, and I have no idea why its doing it. It just simply skips to another scene, then goes back after a minute or so.

Any ideas? suggestions? Also some suggestions on THE BEST (in your opinion) divx encoder out there are also welcome. Dr. Divx is good, the only problem im having with it is the scene skipping. Its only when encoding FROM .vobs. Not any other file type.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated. Thanks

2. sbv3

sbv3 Member

Hi!

Best is to use Smart Ripper to rip all segments into a single VOB. You can set this in settings->Splitting: change to max-file size and adjust the max filesize to something really big.
    It then rips it all into one file and you won't get any nasty splits.

Cheers,
    Bela.

3. tosco

tosco Guest

interesting......being a continuous video should help.

Sometimes the skipping occurs right at the beggining of the video, long before the first vob would even be complete.....not sure why it skips around.....If it skipped every 30 min or whatever (everytime a new vob starts), id imagine this would definitely fix the problem....

4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi tosco,
    I used Smartripper for the longest time - it's simple and easy.
    I have changed to DVDDecrypter
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm
    because it is new/improved and better :)
    It is built-in to GordianKnot, which you should consider using instead of Dr.DivX.
    GordianKnot likes DVDs ripped to harddisk in IFO mode (which is what Smartripper does).
    DVDShrink, however, likes DVDs ripped to HD in File mode, which DVDDecrypter will also do.
    So try GKnot (with DVDDecrypter) for the best backups!
    If you want something easier, a bit more like Dr.DivX, you can try AutoGK
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/autoGK.cfm
    and then in time, you can 'grow' (if you wish greater control) into the regular GKnot.
    Regards

5. tosco

tosco Guest

thanks for the reply :)

yeah im pretty happy with smart ripper, ill try what the guy above said and just copy it as a single file. I've been copying via "file mode" by just copying the .vob's instead of IFO mode.