1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scent of a woman

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dvd123456, Feb 27, 2005.

1. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

i have tried to burn Scent of a Woman but the video quality is very blocky and choppy. also i have encountered extremely long burn times. i am running...
    amd-64 3200
    1.25 gb pc 3200
    200g segate hd
    clone dvd2
    shrink 3.2
    dvd decrypter

i have not tried putting it on two discs, never had to, but the signs are pointing that way.
    i backed up a beautiful mind and it was similar in size without the video problems.
    scent of a woman's video size is 7.3 gig
    a beautiful mind is close to 6.5 and no prob.
    thanks in advance for any suggestions

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  2. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If your experincing long burn times it could be your drive fell into PIO mode.

Check and make sure your DVD drive is still in DMA mode and not in PIO mode. Do this to see.

Click start/control panel/System icon/Hardware Tab/Device Manager/IDE ATA/ATAPI Controler

Then right click on each IDE channel and click properties then click the Advanced setting Tab and there you should bebale to change the DMA and PIO Mode settings. Make sure it is in DMA mode.

If it is in PIO mode and wont let you change it to DMA mode then delete your DVD drive and restart and windows should reset it to DMA mode.

3. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

im running win xp thier is not an advanced tab...
    should have said that b4

4. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

all other discs i don't have a problem, maybe 7gig is too big for a 4.7... maybe this is the line not to cross. i have over 250 archived discs including resident evil and the forgotten... never any problems that could not be fixed with a little time and tlc. (not to be takin as bragging) but this may be the fine line of capacity for a 4.7 disc

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

I sugested the DMA mode droping into PIO mode cause of the

A large DVD wouldnt give you that problem. If its a large DVD and you compress it low enough then yes you would get pixlation but it wouldnt effect the burn time of the DVD.

6. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

sorry, i guess i sounded like a dick, you had a good idea but i think that i will have to split the disc in two. thanks for the info.

7. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

also how can a drive just
    ?

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Is it choppy all the way thru or is it towrods the end? You might try custom size of 4300 for the final size of the DVD to be burned. Alot of times when you get closer to the outer edges of the disc the dye tends to fade and cause problems. Most useres Custom set the size to 4300 try that if you havent yet.

9. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You would be suprised on how many people have the problem of slow burn times and choppy backups due to thier drive falling into PIO mode. You can take my advice or not just trying to be helpfull.

In DMA mode the information is sent from your DVD drive to your memory.

In PIO mode its sending it to your procesor which then usses more of the CPU usage up which can make choppy backups and slower burn times.

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

It all started a long time ago, before DMA. But since DMA has taken over as the preferred method, Windows allows the DMA mode. But when errors begin to occur, CRC for example, Windows drops down the DMA mode until the CRC's go away. If this doesn't take place, such as a bad disk, then Windows changes over from DMA to PIO mode, approximately on the sixth error event.

11. dvd123456

dvd123456 Member

thanks guys,
    the video is choppy all of the way through, i think that it has been compressed too much.

guess i will try splitting the disc in two

by long burn times... went from 8 min to 14

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005