1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sceptre 37" LCD HDTV. Any Common!!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by roadkille, Dec 20, 2005.

1. pilgrimj

pilgrimj Guest

Just got email that 42" TV has been shipped on 3/24/06. Does this mean that it has been shipped from China? or the West Coast? I looked on Cos--o status page and it said in process - shipped date was blank. Can anyone give me any insight. Thanks

2. doug316

doug316 Member

Assumed that like the 37" they are shipping from SoCal.

3. Dant2757

Dant2757 Member

Just received my Costco 42 inch HDTV. It does not work, has a synch problem like my 1950's tube tv. Image keeps flipping/flashing (even the menus and splash screen with no signal input).

I paid $200 to ship/set-up this TV, waited over a month to get it, told all my colleagues about it, finally got it -- and it does not work properly. The $200 delivery folks simply cut the banding on the box and removed the top left everything in the middle of my living room - NO CHECKOUT -- the problem is obvious had I received the start-up check I feel I paid for.

Costco immediately offered a refund, but I want a 42 inch HDTV. Costco also suggested I could reorder and wait another 4 to 8 weeks for a replacement, and they are still filling back orders.

It is impossible to contact Sceptre. I have sent emails and a phone call but no reply. Perhaps this is a big red flag folks for "made in China" stuff.

I am very frustrated and disappointed with Costco and Sceptre. And have my old TV and both Sceptre boxes sitting in my living room and a broken 42" HDTV on the shelf! Any idea how big of a box this thing comes in?? No easy way to even haul it back to Costco.

This speaks to buying new technology from a local dealer that can verify it works when it arrives at your home. Most of the dealers in the Denver area will include this setup in the price (saving $200 to have some unskilled movers driver deliver the product).

4. indiprod

indiprod Member

Dant2757, that is too bad. I suggest you check the Costco website for similarly priced alternatives. That way you could get your complete refund (Costco will refund the delivery charge as well) and get Costco to pick up the dead TV at the same time they deliver your new one. Some possibilities: the Samsung 40" LCD HDTV and the Maxent 42" LCD HDTV (which today has a $500 off promotion). I think the Panasonic 42" plasma HDTV has gotten good reviews. Good luck!

5. aagorgita

aagorgita Member

I Have recieved a call that my 42 septre will be delivered on tuesday. I have a oppo 1080i DVD player and the DVD that had been suggested earlier to check the quality of the TVS picture. I will keep you informed as to what happens. Hopefully it works.

6. bostonBob

bostonBob Member

Can anyone describe setting up the 37" Sceptre LCD with a surround sound system?

Do you have to take off the supplied speakers? What kind of sound outputs did you use.

Any help with setting up a surround sound system on this would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have the 37" Sceptre yet but I've almost convinced my wife and want to have everything ready. Thanks!

7. crmarquez

crmarquez Member

Received my 42" LCD 2 weeks ago, went to best buy to buy the wall mount $249.00 too much so we stopped at the costco store and they had one for $89.00 so we picked it up placed it over the fireplace and all is well. We love it.

Good Luck
    cmarquez

8. WebGuy

WebGuy Member

I emailed Sceptre about a wall mount and they told me that a company named Ergotron made compatible wall mounts. The url is http://www.ergotron.com. Ergotron confirm the compatibility on their website. I really think their products look great. And I purchased the low profile wall mount for $66.35 for a online store called TheNerds.net

Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  9. pilgrimj

pilgrimj Guest

Where's my 42" TV? Notified shipped on 3/24 - haven't heard anything since. No tracking information. Wondering how others are making out. Saw both good and bad reports. Can anyone give an update on their experience? Thanks.

10. acousty

acousty Regular member

I am choosing between 2 panasonic plasma TV's. The TH-42PX60U and the other EDTV 42inch plasma. Now I come across this monitor http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/Specifications/spec_X42GV-Naga.htm

Now this LCD seems to be a 3rd rate product since they are selling it at Target and Costco( Not meaning its a bad product though) Is this a better TV then the panasonic listed above?

11. capt2278

capt2278 Member

WOW.. went to look at the Scepter 37" again on the Costco online website..... it was not there any longer. Only saw the 32" version.

12. scearfo

scearfo Member

I bought a 37" Sceptre LCD from costco online that I am happy with. However, when the DirecTV guy came by to install new HD tuner and dish, he noticed that Sceptre was not one of the brands in the list. He said that the only drawback would be that I wouldn't be able to use the volume control on the DirecTV remote, and would have to use the Sceptre remote. Ok. Well, I called Sceptre and they said to use one of 3 Sony codes to complete the transfer. (Directv sent me a step-by-step plan showing how to do this). I tried, but could not effect the change. Anyone else have this problem?

13. Dant2757

Dant2757 Member

I have a Dish remote and have tried all of the Sony codes (including the codes for receivers, DVR's, and other all Sony devices listed in the Dish remote manual), none will operate the Sceptre Volume (the most important function in my opinion).

I emailed Sceptre with this information and they suggested that I use the Sony codes. (Not much <no> help.)

Has any one been able to get the Dish/DTV remote to operate the Sceptre Volume. This is a major drawback.

Thanks

14. jdesign

jdesign Member

I have the Sceptre 37" and I am now using the Logitech Harmony remotes from eCost.com. They are perfect for Dish, Direct TV or any other Cable or Sat setup. I am also using it to control my Home Theater PC as well.

15. fitzerino

fitzerino Member

I'm two weeks in with the Sceptre x37 and now the trouble begins. Had some juddering one day, then my TWCNY HD-DVR cable box rebooted itself. Then no problem for a day. Now the X37 will receive any signal from any source (mac mini, DVD player, HD-DVR cable box) BUT, 5 to 10 minutes later, the lamp seems to go out, the videoframe crunches horizontally and vertically while a clicking sound inside the X37 rattles on. No responce from the remote except for the power key to turn it off. Trying to reach Tech support at sceptre today at noon. I am in New York.

I have read numerous pages of this thread and have found nothing like what I am experiencing, beyond the mention of "juddering". Anyone with a similar failing?

16. capt2278

capt2278 Member

HOLY COW!!! That sounds rather ominous. So, turning the unit off, unplugging it for a while, and re-starting it NOT help? Just curious.

I may just hang on to my 500 pound Sony 34" XBR for a bit longer then.

17. fitzerino

fitzerino Member

Nope. Didn't help. Calling sceptre now.

18. wooly59

wooly59 Member

Help!!! I just received my 42" Sceptre from Costco. I have RCN cable and have ordered the HD tuner box RCN requires to receive HDTV. The standard definition TV hooked up to my analog cable box is horrible and unwatchable. XBOX looks great and DVD's are ok. Will the RCN HDtuner solve my problems and will analog channels not in HD come in better through the HD tuner than they do now?

19. mrscripto

mrscripto Member

This may be a dumb question, but I am considering the 37" Sceptre for my primary computer monitor. Since I haven't seen one I'm not sure if it is good enough for that, as I'm worried about the detail and quality of high-end computer graphics and CAD programs (dot pitch). The monitor would sit between 2 and 3 feet from my face. Can someone shed some light on this subject?
    Thanks!

20. capt2278

capt2278 Member

You've got to be kidding. placing a 37" LCD monitor 2 or 3 feet away?!?! Not planning on using your eyes for very much longer?

The Sceptre is said to have one of the best "pitches" around. But, for CAD and other extremely precise drawing programs, still nothing beats a CRT with super fine dot-pitch. And, its cheaper too.