1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

schtrom v3.1 backup question.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by saltzy, May 21, 2007.

1. saltzy

saltzy Member

Hello,

I am new at all of this. I recently just purchased a pre-modified xbox 360 console from modchipstore.com. This modified console comes with the globe 360 modchip already installed. I currently have downloaded schtrom v3.1 and clone dvd and am ready to make a back-up. The problem I have, is that when I load my game into my computer drive and start up schtrom v 3.1 it says that there is no xbox 360 drive found! Do I need to connect my xbox 360 to my pc? what do I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Unless you bought the special Samsung PC DVD-Rom drive your PC (SH-D162C with Kreon Firmware) is not going to read an Xbox 360 game disc. Go to the Xbox 360 section and i am sure you can find some guides on other ways to back up games. The Samsung SH-D162C can be purchased on Ebay for about $50 and is by far the easiest way to back up games from original discs.

3. saltzy

saltzy Member

Great! Thanks for the info

Would there be any way to get that samsung drive as an external drive? Just curious.
    If I didn't want to go the route of making backups from the original disc and wanted to pursue the method of downloading the game files to put on the disc, what in your opinion is the best and easiest method with my modded 360?

4. steimy

steimy Active member

well, either way works about the same really. Making a back up from an original is faster for sure with the Samsung drive. I have seen an SATA and IDE (internal) version but not an external. You would want to go internal if you can. If you have an open slot it is about a 5 minute job to hook it up.

here are some pro's and con's of your back up question.

Copy With Samsing Drive:
    PROS
    quick and easy
    makes stealth backs ups
    all software required is free
    CONS
    costs $50
    You have to either own or rent the game

Downloading:
    PROS
    free
    fairly easy to find them
    all software required for all steps is free
    CONS
    time-take days longer than above method depending on your connection
    dependant on how good the uploaded copy was
    may have to stealth patch files manually
    although both are illegal, this is more risky.
    Public Sites-unless you know someone who can get you into a private site the speeds are much slower, and sometimes ther uploaders are not as good as those found on private sites.

I mean, don't get me wrong. Either way will work and everyone has an opinion on this. Mine is that the Samsung drive is the fastest way. Even if it will cost you a little more it saves time as downloading a 7GB file from a public site with anything less than a 5MB connection speed can take a day or more.

5. saltzy

saltzy Member

Great! Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll go the 1 to 1 copy route. Like you say it's quicker, and seems easier. So all I'll need is the samsung drive, the schtrom v 3.1 and the clone cd programs. Is that right? Thanks again for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

6. steimy

steimy Active member

Yes, that is right. The only thing you may have to do is update the burners firmware if it doesn't come already flashed with the Kreon firmware, but most will.
    Personally i prefer Xbox Backup Creator (V2.4) to copy from the disc to the PC, then IMGburn V2.1 to burn to a blank Verbatim DVD+R DL (both of which are free programs).
    I know they both have newer versions available but those versions have worked 100% of the time for me.
    Nt sure about Schtroms but i know XBC makes stealth back ups when you do a 1:1 copy so no need for manual patching either.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  7. saltzy

saltzy Member

Steimy,

Hey I've got a new question. Okay so with the burner and the modified 360 do i ever need to worry about updating anything when the 360 requires updates to play a new game or will my method of burning overide those updates with no problems? I hope i didn't confuse you. I've noticed that somtimes when I put a new 360 game in xbox will require me to update before i can play the game. I'm wondering if that will cause problems with my modified 360.