1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch on DVD game

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Biglad, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Hiya lads,

I have an original copy of a game which has a scratch on the disc.

The thing is that it plays ok but at the start where it plays a bit of a movie type clip it jumps and I have to tip my PS2 on the side and it gradually moves on. Once you get to the game it works fine.

Is there a way to back up my original copy onto a blank DVD-R as I have tried loads of things but it always comes up with an error.

Any idea's ??

Thanks very much

2. biglog9

biglog9 Member

well you need to get rid of the scratch

you can buy one of those scratch fixer things (i think they are called cd/dvd repairer)
    or
    get a piece of emery cloth (at least 1000 grit) (sells them at the local home supplier) and rub the back of the dvd to it.
    place the emery cloth on a flat surface and rub the disc in a circual motion on the cloth
    then clean the disc with a cleaning solution

good luck

-Jason

3. psx245

psx245 Regular member

just use some rubbing alchohol. it doesn't seem like it makes the scratch dissapear but, your ps2 has a lot easier time reading it.

4. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Cheers guys, will give it a go.

5. robert34

robert34 Guest

The thing is a dvd?
    i have that game and it cd

6. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

since you own the game, you could go rent it and make a backup from that. I am in no way saying it's ok to go rent games and copy them, but if you own the game and dont have a backup of it, renting it to make a backup may be your only option. I have had to do this on a few games that my kids scratched to the point where i couldn't get a working backup from it.

7. Biglad

Biglad Regular member

Thanks for the answers chaps but I have managed to backup my scratched game. I tried a few different bits of software but everything came up with an error but I finally managed to make a backup using Record Now Max at 1x speed.

Cheers

8. psx245

psx245 Regular member

but i thought the rules were that if your original gets sold or scratch you have to dispose your backup???

9. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

why would the rules be like that? i mean, why do you make a backup if it isn't to protect yourself in case anything happens to the original? I got games that if i wouldn't have backup up, i would just be out 50 bucks. when they get damaged i keep the disc just as proof that my backup is legit.