1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Removal

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Eliblue, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Eliblue

Eliblue Member

I was wondering if anyone on this board is aware of a good method of scratch removal or repair of dvds. I've got a few dvds(legally purchased) that I would like to have scratches removed so that I can back them up on blank dics.

Should I just purchase some of the devices that I see in the stores like Best Buy? Are some of these devices more effective that others? I don't want to waste my money on a product that doesn't work so that's why I'm posting the question here first.

Thanks!!!!!

2. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was talking to a local video store owner on this topic back a year ago. At that time the only thing that would work was a machine that cost about $8000 and would reseal the disc with a new top coating of plastic. All other products on the market (at that time) he said was crap.
    However companies like 123 have within that time made good software solutions that can read and burn a new disc. If the disk is still readable on a computer I would back them up quickly. Good devices can be expensive.

3. Eliblue

Eliblue Member

Hello Prisoner,

Could you please give the name of the "software solution" that you referred to in your response.

Are you referring to "DVD Rescue" by a company called 321 Studios?

Thanks!!!!!

4. brian100

brian100 Guest

I just found this web site concerning (potential) scratch removal on discs. Apparently the chap has used "socks" & toothpaste !!!. I can't guarantee if anything he says will work but you may get a useful tip or 3.

http://www.btinternet.com/~zturner/

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My buddy buys a lot of ex-rentals that are inevitably scratched up so he bought one of those little motorized scratch removal thingies and it seems to work quite well. It will turn a disc that skips quite a bit into one that plays fine! It works well for the light scratches but the deep ones are another story :)

6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Brain I wouldn`t believe that guide. It just seems more like a joke than reality.

Eliblue, yes I was refering to DVD rescue. this is basicly DVDXCOpy planium as it is included if you buy DVDxCOpy platnium. But this version takes a very long time to read the disc as to limit the number of errors in reading.

Those machines have come down in price. Here are some that are available:
    http://www.cdrepairman.com/old/repair_equip.php
    Neephilim what name brand does your friend have.

7. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

disc dr. works just fine

8. Mrweasel

Mrweasel Guest

I have used Brasso metal cleaner for years on CDs for scratches. It has a light abrasive in it that takes the edges of the scratch down so the laser will not be deflected by a sharp edge. I use a cotton ball to rub the Brasso over the entire disc, or just the section that has the scratches. Wipe off with an old soft T shirt. The surface will look a little clowdy, but the laser reads through it with no problems. I have cleaned up at least 100 DVDs this way. You can get Brasso in the cleaner section of large grocery stores. It is used mostly for cleaning the bottoms of copper pans

9. Nephilim

I've used Brasso on rifle brass for years but never thought of using it on discs!

I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'll be talking to him tomorrow and will ask :)

10. piano632

piano632 Regular member

Believe it or not, the one thing that actually DOES work is Fellowes CD/DVD Scratch Repair Kit sold at OfficeMax and maybe elsewhere. It is a chemical-soaked cloth that you rub the disc with and it softens up the plastic enough for the scratches to be smoothed out. It works very well, but you may need to do some hard rubbing if the scratches are fairly deep. The only drawback is there are only 2 packets of this stuff in the package and once you open one it will dry out in a few days (or less) - so make sure you have a stack of scratched discs to repair before you open one of these packets.

I've tried Skip Doctor (also sold under various other names) and the typical polish stuff and neither of these things work all that well compared to the Fellowes stuff.

11. zany

zany Member

try rubbing them on grade 3 sandpaper that can do the job just as good

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Guys, from my Library of neat stuff - I hope it’s of some help,

ScubaPete's Helpful HINTS:

To help with those small "Kiddie Scratches" on your DVD's -

As a final resort to retrieve scratched DVD's with small to medium scratches -

Materials needed:
    A soft cotton cloth
    Toothpaste w/Borax
    (Brasso metal polish may be used as a substitute for toothpaste)
    Isopropanol Alcohol
    Pledge
    Orange Juice and Vodka

Method:
    START: Place the disc on a firm soft surface. Apply a small amount of toothpaste to a soft cotton cloth and apply to your DVD - Rubbing very firmly in an even stroke from the center outwards towards the edge. Repeat 10 to 15 times. Do this over the entire disc turning the disc slowly in a circular manner, always going from the inside to the outer edge.
    When finished, clean the disc thoroughly with a clean cotton cloth moistened with Isopropanol Alcohol, using a firm even rubbing motion from the center outwards towards the edge.
    NEXT: Using a clean piece of cotton cloth, apply Pledge to the entire disc in the same manner as the toothpaste was applied above.

Attempt to play disc. Orange Juice and Vodka are to be liberally applied internally. May be repeated as required to recover disc.

Enjoy,

Pete

13. brian100

brian100 Guest

Pete

After 10 large vodka oranges, the scratch can..well..go and .....eeeeeeeeeerr...

Id also like to confirm that shot blasting, i had it rigged at work for a laugh!!, does infact cause more damage then the disk initially exhibited !!. Although the fun factor is "high"

I think the best option is to "will it" to work, IE large ammounts of prayer & meditaion. It may not cure the disk but it's good for the mind.

14. Nephilim

Last edited: Apr 26, 2004
  15. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That would be a piece of rock. 80 grit is like sand, and that can't be good. I think I would lick an electrical socket first. Then pick up some sand with the fried tongue and that just might work better.

Does that actually work, I still don't know about the toothpaste. Is this the crest brand or the Arm and Hammer sensitive stuff? What if you use the grity all natural Maine stuff?
    Talking about toothpaste, the best is Coca, baking soda and water. the poor mans solution.

but about discs, I would try a back up software setting your read speed to 1x or 2x. If that doesn't work then move to the fun methods mentioned.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2004
  16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

GENTLEMEN,

Please note, I refer to my post as -

I see that no one had trouble reading about Vodka -

Please note that my post wasn't editted, the warning was there all the time -

I'll put a boldaround the warning -

Glad ya likes the ending though -

Pete