1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched/Damaged cds

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bobright, Jun 6, 2005.

1. runner121

runner121 Guest

So does this do any justice for DVD's and thier damage too?

2. Yulyo

Yulyo Member

i only "repaired" cds. not even one dvd.
    i think i would work. but once again. be very gentle
    and one more very important thing: if your scratch is from left to right, you should work with toothpaste from north to south. it';s very important to work with toothpaste perpendiculary. ( excuse my english :))

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  3. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

is it true you can use hairspray to remove deep scratches or minor scratches from scratched cds/dvds if it is does anyone no how to do it?

4. djscoop

djscoop Active member

I've never heard of hairspray before. First try it on a CD you don't mind losing...

5. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

I wouldn't of thought that would work but people say toothpaste works so anything is possible

6. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

it works i sprayed hair spray on a scratched up aol disk n nearly all the scratches went event the deap ones

7. humzaSM

humzaSM Regular member

i also found out that wipe out is a good scratch remover

Last edited: Jul 31, 2005
  8. bobright

bobright Guest

haha, yes i have never heard of hairspray being used.

seems like it'll do the opposite

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

so do you wipe the hairspray off, or just spray it on and let it dry?

10. runner121

runner121 Guest

I think Im going to buy one of those "hand held rotating buffers".I saw one down at Blockbuster.I almost bought it but then I thought I didnt need to get hit for $50.00 at the video store.

11. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Hairspray can be used to take out permanent ink on clothing,rugs. I don't think it would be wise to spray on cds.

As per scratched "tops".......wax might help. Novus is highly recommended

http://www.noscratch.com/novus/use5.shtml

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

your info is on the top just under the aluminum foil so scratch the top & kiss the info goodbye

13. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Yes, I do know when looking at used dvds checking the top is more important than the bottom.

I had an original dvd that pixelated and froze, no visible scratches or fingerprints. I put it through Dvdinfopro, came up with almost 50 read errors. I put wax on the "TOP", buffed it, and ran it through DvdInfoPro again....came up with 1 read error. This was an embossed dvd, an older TouchStone with the silver top.

I guess if the scratches aren't deep, it's worth a try.

14. Mez

Mez Active member

I recomend spending $30 for a cheap grinder. They sell under many different names at most video depts. I have spent all night "playing" with a disk and often ruining them. Now, in a minute or two, the probelm is solved. I have never heard a negative comment about them. Naturally, if the scratch is too deep nothing will help. Too deep is if the flaw goes down to the foil or worse. These are gone! Even the $200 grinders can't bring them back. Video store use the good ones because they take off less plastic and have a like new surface when done. Disjk done with the cheap ones look like crap but do work.

15. mascisken

mascisken Member

ive got a few cds where you can actually see through the data area..can these cds still be saved using the tin foil method or can i kiss them all goodbye?

16. runner121

runner121 Guest

No hope isn't lost yet.If the surface area containg the actual data on the underside of the disc is still intact,you more than likely will be able to use a data recovery program to get an the data to your hard disk then create an image.If you don't know any good data
    recovery programs I might suggest Jufsoft's "Badcopy".This program gives LOTS of data recovery options.

17. mascisken

mascisken Member

thanks for the reply.

i read somewhere that my cds have something called cd rot or soemthing like that...ill try out that sw and hope it works

18. nnote

nnote Member

rainx for windsheilds works great. It's basicly an opticly clear wax that will fill in the scratches.

19. bengo

bengo Member

Hiya, As Thingy says a few posts back, if the data layer is scratched, tough. I reckon the hairspray idea is a good one, wish I'd thought of it. I was gonna suggest you do what I have done successfully many times - wash CD under tap with soap / washing up liquid, rinse and dry well then use spray furniture polish on it then buff shiny and rip sharpish as the fix only seems to have a short life. I will now be washing and spraying with hairspray! I suppose there is a risk as with any spray "paint" that you might not get a perfectly uniform finish but what the hell ( for christ's sake let it dry properly).
    Maybe Auto laquer can do a more Permanent job?
    Cheers, Ian