1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by BMF1, Feb 14, 2007.

1. BMF1

BMF1 Member

I don't know if this is the right forum and if it isn't just point me in the right direction. My nephew has Madagasgar on DVD (original)for a while and his mother cannot get it to play in the DVD Player anymore as she lets him handle the disc and she asked me if i could copy it for her so they could watch it but i can't even get my ROM to read it all the way Through so i was just wondering if anyone out there has some sort of way that i can get the DVD-ROM to read it either throught software or some sort of hardware?

2. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

There were two disks that my kids scarred up so much that it took physical intervention to backup. One came out great in backup one came out with little glitches but backup process on the both went fine. It took two or three passes with a machine I got at a Fred Meyer. It had two solutions one for resurfacing and one for cleaning and it may have been a Memorex. I am in town so I don't know for sure. The worse one I did 3 times but stopped there. I did not want it to go too deep to play at all. But it plays now and backed up. Albeit the highly damaged one is still glitchy but plays. This is what was important to my boys so I figured it was worth it. It seems like it was 25 bucks or so. It looked like a cd player almost.

3. BMF1

BMF1 Member

Do you have a name for this machine or what it looked like or anything like that? Cause at this point i think that is were i am headed.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What I have used in the past for discs in that bad of condition is a machine called SkipDoctor [​IMG]

This can be bought just about anywhere WalMart, BestBuy, CircutCity and Amazon even has them for $33 Click Here!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  5. BMF1

BMF1 Member

anyone know where i can read a few reviews about these machines before i go and reface this dvd?

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If you feel like paying $700 then you could go with this Disc Repair :)

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

I tried the skip doctor and my husband broke it in a second...I did not care for the quality. This was a year ago or so it may have changed. The one I tried this time I believe was a Memorex and it looks like a bulky cdwalkman and it plugs into the wall. It sets into the "player" looking thing and there are buttons for clean and repair. Skip doctor may have improved by now I can not say, I CAN say that my husband is hard on tools. I guess it depends on your "touch"

I hear there is an altec one that looks like a cdplayer and uses disks like the memorex. I know they will have something at any of the places bbmayo suggested. It seems to be a fairly common product. Looks like they are around 25-30 bucks.

9. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OMG! for something that the 30 buck models do?? What does it respin the polycarb protective coat in the end??? WOW!

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I have had my electric SkipDr for over 2 years now and it still works great. I am not sure what your husband did to his? LOL I also have owned the others and yes even the Memorex because I was trying to save a few $$, but they just didn't work. they work fine for what they are designed to do which is clean the disc, but they wont re-surface and repair like the SkipDr will (at least not the ones I tried) Also the ones you stick into what look like little walkmans are actually doing what any DVD manufacturer will tell you not to do (everyone knows you wipe disc from inside out) in other words across the disc not in the circular motion those divices do it in. The SkipDr actually goes across the grain just like every CD/DVD manufaturer tells you to do it.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Well that one does something those don't do. It actually refinishes the surface and it is made for industries like Block Buster to repair there badly worn discs. There are more expensive ones out there in the $1,000 range. What these actually do is is strip a layer or two off and refinish the disc back into pristine (new) condition.

I will stick with my trusty old SkipDr as I have had great sucess with that.

12. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

You see this figgures, my man can break something in a second. Unless it is a bass. Seems to be the only exception. Don't even ask me how many times I have reformatted his computer cause he deleted some system file!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh...lol...

The memorex worked fine for me??? Took two and three passes, I will look into the skip doc again if it fails though. Perhaps it is revolves around the user (ie, don't let cabana boy use it!)

OK, so the fancy machine. It does reapply a coating or no it just grinds it down. I thought they all ground to a certain extent?

ANYHOW, to op, after all of this chatter, you should be able to resurface a disk and get it to SHRINK agian!

13. Shardel

Shardel Guest

I purchased a product called cd scratch repair kit by discwasher. The
    retail price is $9.99. I bought it for half that on sale. It contains l bottle of cleaning fluid and 1 bottle of polish & scratch
    remover-also a couple of clothes and some things to apply it. You
    do the work with elbow grease. It works really well. I bought mine
    at a Hastings store. If you really don't want to mess with it you
    can take your disc to a Hastings store and have it resurfaced on a
    professional machine for $1.99.

14. CROWDADDY

CROWDADDY Member

Although I use a primative method of cleaning DVDS I have not run across a DVD so hacked up that I could not get it to backup.
    For the adventurous they can use a simple clean damp soft cloth with good old H2o as their cleaning solution, whiping the disk from the inner circle to the outer edge all the way around the dvd on the reading side of course.

Hope this helps, if not they do make nice beverage coasters for any social gathering you may throw together.

Good Luck,

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

BMF1
    Kitty's He-Man Cabana Boy must have a real grip. LOL I've got the motorized version of the Skip Doctor like the one bbmayo pictured. I also have the hand crank model, but I tired of that quickly. I was purchasing a lot of scratched up discs (a lot cheaper than regular retail packs) and needed a good resurfacing tool. When the scratches get too pervasive, it's the only way to recover. If the optical head can't read through the polycarbonate outer layer, you can't copy what's inside on the dye layer. I've had the units for a couple of years now. They also sell the resurfacing wheels separately. So you don't have to buy the tool when a wheel surface starts wearing out. The miracle resurfacing fluid they sell is pretty much H2O. I learned water and a touch of vinegar does a good job without leaving a film residue. Polycarbonate is pretty tough, so I've used window cleaner on them before. ;) As for the Skip Doctor, I'm happy with mine. So, unless you have a grip and an aptitude for destruction like Kitty's Cabana Boy, the Skip Doctor is a safe bet. LOL

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

BTW, those Skip Doctors are actually abrasive polishing wheels, they don't cut deep into the polycarbonate layer. They aren't for cutting down deep scratches. Also, if a scratch is actually a deep cut into the inner layer, the disc is a goner. Some recovery software will read a DVD and bypass the bad sections, but you end up with a video with skips. The software can't recover what the optical head can't read.

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

http://digitalinnovations.com/products.php?cat=1

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The prices at the website are $29.99 and $39.99.

The old style motorized Skip Doctor is the one bbmayo pictured and here's a shot of the old crank unit I have. I've seen these online for about $20.

[​IMG]

From the looks of them, the new ones appear to be an easier design to load and unload.

18. Molder

Molder Regular member

Just hire it, you know the rest.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Where ye gonna hire it?

20. Agent0008

Agent0008 Regular member

Not a fan of the skip doctor as it use to put a star pattern on the bottom of the disk. I've always used a paste that you wipe on and then remove, I have the best success letting it dry first and then wiping it off.

[​IMG]