1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratched Originals - Any Options?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by djlen, Feb 25, 2005.

1. djlen

djlen Regular member

I have been borrowing movies from the library(not the best source) and many of them are playable, but not rip-able. I get errors on DVD Shrink during the anylization process.
    Do I have any options for this issue? Another application? I tried ripping on two different player/burners with little success.

Len

2. katiehlvr

katiehlvr Member

funny you say this,
    i do the same thing and lately i have become the master at cleaning these things up.
    Try using windex first on them. If that doesnt work, use a white toothpate... Just put the paste on the disc, and use a dry cloth to rub it in and clean it.
    WORKS EVERYTIME!!!
    hope this helps

3. djlen

djlen Regular member

I have not tried that, although I know it does word well on some scratched surfaces.
    I'll give it a try, although some of them look beyond repair.

Len

4. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

After youve cleaned them,try ripping them with dvd decrypter.If anything is going to do it,it would be decrypter.
    Cleaning them with toothpaste, not only works well for cleaning them, but it makes them smell minty fresh LOL
    good luck
    jD

5. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Doesn't the toothpaste scratch them worse? And do you just squirt on the toothpaste or do you water it down?

6. djlen

djlen Regular member

I have absolutely taken scratches out of watch crystals with toothpaste. Wet your finger and take a small dab of toothpaste and rub gently on the surface to be cleaned. Clean it off and wipe gently.
    For light scratches on certain objects it works well.
    I don't know how advisable it would be for DVDs however.

Jim - Decrypter does work a bit better for ripping, but I've still been unable to rip some discs.
    Also, I've had more success with my Plextor, when my Sony wouldn't do the job on bad discs.

Len

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  7. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

i feel i must be the one to raise the issue of piracy and that you shouldn't rip unless you own the dvd. I'm sure you are doing this but it does sound a bit dodgey.

My €.02 is that most of this stuff doesn't really work, rubbing it with a clean soft cloth for a while does seem to work in degrees but don't expect miracles

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Well, I don't borrow from the library. But I do scratch my disks from time to time. Well.....I usually don't scratch them, but my wife and daughter do it for me.

I kid you not........I had a disk skipping a few days ago. I thought it was scratched. When I got it out of the player, my wife had "accidentally" smeared a gob of peanut butter on the disk. I'm surprised it didn't screw up my DVD player.

I'm going to start a thread about how to keep her from doing this.

My point is, with her handling my disks, I need a viable option for removing scratches. I tried disk doctor........that thing went right back to Best Buy. When I finished following the instructions, my "like new" disk looked like sandpapered drywall without the paint!

What's up with that thing? Why not just call it "disk sander"?

9. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

There is a kit you can buy called disk doctor. I've used it takes the scratches out works great abought 15 or 20 bucks. And on the piracy thingy that neilm247 mentiond, we can debate this one till dooms day. weather you own it ot not it's ILLEGAL. And I'll bet that 99% of all the burns being discussed in this forum are borrowed or rental dvd's being copyed. If it makes you FEEL better thinking that when you go out and buy a product and copy it your not breaking the law then you just keep thinking it. I know pisses your off you bought it you should be able to do what ever you want with it and I think generally you can as long as your not mass producing it for sale, or posting it on the web for anyone to download. Ever heard of Ftp this worked great till Peer to Peer took over the masses.

Good Luck

Spacedust

10. neilm247

neilm247 Regular member

piracy i know yaddayaddyadd but that disk doctor you mentioned is indeed a piece of crap. Don't bother wasting the money as it does nothing. Just to explain what you do with it after spending €30:
    1) spray disk with fragranced water(a.k.a. disk repair fluid).
    2) set up the contraption to...push the water into the scratches???... thus "fixing" the damaged disk.
    3) buff with a clean lint free cloth.

Come on, this is the greatest load of shite i have ever witnessed as anyone can clean a disk without paying €30. I once wasted my time with this and I write this to prevent other suckers from buying it.

11. footman

footman Member

I have found the ultimate solution for cleaning EVERYTHING..... Brasso. It's fantastic. It takes scratches out of watches and makes CD's like new. It takes a little patients and rubbing, but it definitely works.

Neil.