1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

scratches in G04, bad sectors

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by hoebag, Aug 18, 2004.

1. hoebag

hoebag Guest

Hello,

I've been lurking anonymously for a while and have been learning a lot. I appreciate the existence of this forum and the helpfulness of the members here, particularly the senior members.

I have some issues I'd like addressed.

Let me say first off that I now realize that I should buy blanks from trusted sources such as meritline and rima. A while back I purchased a 100pk of Ridata DVD-R discs from amazon. They are branded with "ridata" and and a right-arrow, and a few lines for writing. They identified as G04 using dvdinfopro. I use an NEC ND-2500a burner. Unfortunately I've been having a few burn probs with these.

My main concern is this: several of the new, unburned discs have scratches in the shape of concentric circles, particularly near the outer edge. They seem to be on the bottom clear plastic and not in the dye layer. I tried burning a movie on one of these discs with dvdshrink, and the whole process went fine. An analysis using the nero disc analyzer shows that the last 7% of the disc is unreadable (showing up as red blocks), which probably correspond to the scratched sections.

Here are my questions:
    Does the unreadable sections correspond to data that was written onto the cd, or unusable areas that were left blank? Is there any way to tell whether or not such scratches would affect the end quality before starting a burn? Are these scratched discs good for anything at all, such as data storage?

Semi-irrelevant stuff:
    As far as the discs go, I am very disappointed with my shipment. about 20% of the discs had the concentric scratching. The first few discs have skipping, which I now attribute to computer usage during the imaging/transcoding process. As far as I can tell my burns are ok now that I don't use the computer. Another thing that really bothers me is that there is quite a bit of dust in between new discs. I have a shipment of silver-matte top g04's from supermediastore.com that are a class above this amazon garbage. On those I noticed absolutely no imperfections and zero sandwiched dust particles. I assume that media from meritline and rima would be of quality like that i've experienced from supermediastore?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

It sure sounds like you got a lame batch from Amazon that in retrospect should've been returned immediately after inspection. Dust and scratches are absolutely unforgivable. I hate Amazon.

I personally buy all my Riteks form either newegg or rima and have been thoroughly satisfied with their service.

Those are the ones I've been getting lately. After great results with my first 50 spindle I just ordered a 100 spindle from rima :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  3. super-guy

super-guy Member

I think Meritline and Supermediastore are good chice for you.
    They are professional.