1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCREEN BLANK!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jalathole, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

Hey, i just reformatted with a clean install of windows xp sp2. The display was fine whilst using it before and during the installation process. Now when i turn on the computer after having reformatted it, the bios screen doesn't even show up!
    Does anyone have a solution to this?
    Thanks.

2. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

Sounds strange that, Does xp boot up? or nothing at all? if nothing then only thing i can thing of is if you may of moved your computer recently, for example the graphics card could come slightly out of its slot on the motherboard, therefore no signal to the monitor so no picture.

Have a look in your pc if theres loose parts, make sure they are seated correctly. If still the same then try unplugging the ide/sata data cables from all of your drives and then turn on. It could be serious if it still arises, such as ram failure or even the motherboard.

Give the above a try and get back to us.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Does it appear to boot even though there is no video?

-Del

4. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

im using the motherboard inbuilt graphics at the moment as the graphic card just fried, it was working fine on this before, but the ram or the motherboard has been playing up it think just last week it would not start up at all, but i can hear windows booting through the speakers.

5. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

If you can find some extra ram to test then see if you get any luck then

6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Need a bit clarification. You say your graphics card fried and youre now using the onbord vedio. Does this mean you had another card installed and it works fine with built in video or are you saying you have always used the onbord video?

-Del

7. braunerf1

braunerf1 Member

ya i agree with del...cause sometimes if you put in a seperate video card, the onboard video will disable itself. you might need to clear the CMOS to get the onboard video back. see if you have your motherboard manual, and it will tell you where the CMOS jumper is.

8. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

im saying the graphics card worked fine until it fried. then i used the inbuilt graphics for a couple of months, then it just stopped working. don't worry anymore i just bought a new computer.

9. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

How much you want for the old one?

-Del

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What are the specs on the new computer? Anybody who just rushes out and buys a new PC typically ends up buying something naff.

11. jazbebies

jazbebies Guest

A replacement of ram or motherboard may have done the trick, instead of buying a new pc. I know it can be frustrating fault finding but you learn from the experience and it helps you later on in life.

12. Jalathole

Jalathole Guest

yeah but i think it was time for an upgrade, i'd had that one since 2001
    with a few updates (mobos and ram) and major faults along the way, i think it was time to retire it.