1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen goes black while playing games!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by farazzio, Jun 11, 2007.

1. farazzio

farazzio Member

Hey .. Ive been having a weird problem with my PS2 (old black one) ... whenever i would insert a DVD the game loads immediately without any problems and runs fairly well for a few minutes .. however after a minute or two of playing .... the screen goes black and either doesnt respond at all or returns after a long wait... if i remove the dvd and reinsert it .. the game returns only to go back into darkness after a couple of mins .. it seems as if whenever it tries to read something from the disc it completely slows down or doesnt even respond... i even got the lens changed but that didnt help .. please help me

2. steimy

steimy Active member

are these original games or back up copies?

3. farazzio

farazzio Member

original ... no modification whatsoever ... just stops responding

4. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

What's the condition of the game you are trying to play? Also, is the problem reoccurring in most/all PS2 DVD games you are trying to play? If you answered yes to my previous question, then it could be that your PS2's laser is getting quite old, and you may need to consider finally replacing that laser although there are a few other things I believe you can do to salvage the life of your laser as much as you can before it go bye-bye.

I don't have much experience in this particular method so I'll just recommend it for you to do. Basically, if I can recall correctly, the fat older generation PS2s basically have like 2 lasers (is what I would call them). 1 laser for reading the CDs or PSX games and PS2 CD-based games, those blue-colored, and the other for reading your PS2 DVD games, the ones that are silver.

Basically, if you're willing to do so, which is opening your PS2, I believe you can do two things while attempting to squeeze as much life out of your PS2's laser before you must decide to get a replacement or whatever. Anyway, you can either try to adjust the DVD and CD diodes on your PS2 which would therefore increase the omhz or something, the laser's frequency or whatever it's called, into using more power in read your DVDs. Look up more on diode adjustment as I have no experience in this other than witnessing it a few times and people asking around here.

The other thing you might want to do is do a laser re-alignment, which is basically adjusting the height of the laser to either lower or higher to read your games depending if you have or still have trouble getting your games to work after adjusting the diode.

Also, by the way, use a can of compressed air or something and clean your PS2 if you find it is quite dusty and dirty.

5. farazzio

farazzio Member

Thanks bro.. ill try these steps and let you know .. thanks for the help .. much appreciated