1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen quality of PSP jap and US verison (again!)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Haisook, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Haisook

Haisook Member

Hi there..

Is there a REAL difference in screen quality between the Jap version (1000) and any other version (e.g. US ver) ??

I've heard that the image below on which ppl judged this is fake or is an image that compares 2 lcd screens of TVs or the like.
    http://img20.exs.cx/img20/7670/sharpsamsung8dl.jpg

I mean how could ppl know that it's made by sharp or samsung? Is it typed on it? I've heard also that ebay sellers "made that up" to sell their imported PSPs for much higher prices.

Many ppl who own both PSPs confirmed that there's absolutely no difference.

What do you say guys?!!

2. jarrod40

jarrod40 Regular member

no diff , but a jap psp would have the stupid X and O thing were like O is the enter button and O is back

3. Haisook

Haisook Member

Yea.. I've heard of this XO thing. Actually I prefer X to be the OK button. It's always this way in PS games.

Anyway, so there's absoultely no difference in screen quality? The FAQ here is wrong then. I guess it's a nasty rumor. eBay sellers are devils :) -- "not all of them of course!"

4. BurnCK

BurnCK Regular member

If you are on one of the OE firmwares then you can change this back to X anyway.....

5. patricktm

patricktm Member

anyway, ebay cannot give me confident the product from there is good and real. ebay just let me feel the cheap price product may be fake or not brand new and expensive product is not worth that price they marked.

6. Haisook

Haisook Member

So this JAP vs US screen thingie is a big LIE, isn't it?!!

7. Haisook

Haisook Member

Well, I've had a thought about this XO switch.

Some games say, for instance, "press X to start" .. wouldn't that cause a Jap PSP to 'cancel' ..? or are game menus become customized automatically according the software present.

I'm wondering because all PSP games are universal unlike UMD movies which are region-coded.

Any thoughts?

8. guano

guano Regular member

Man, you guys are crazy! Go back and look at the diff... the girl's face on the RIGHT is not as colourful. You can tell what type of screen you have by opening your PSP up; there is no other way. Also, the screen on the Japanese PSP is not only more colourful, but it's BRIGHTER as well. :D

*Proud Japanese White PSP 1000 Owner*

Oh yea, I think to really noticed the differences, you would need to hold a US and JAP one side by side. I had my black US ver and then got my imported white one and held them side by side to see the differences in the screen. Pointed this out to one of my mates and he said the same thing. He had a black US and White JP as well...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  9. Haisook

Haisook Member

Any image can easily be modified in Photoshop. Not a big deal.
    Psychologically, any PSP-1000's owner is going to say that it's true and that he's a proud owner of it, probably because he paid more for it because of all that ebay hype. No offense here.

We need unbiased guys to confirm that.
    I've mailed Sony about this today.

10. guano

guano Regular member

OFMG you're a retard. I said I held them up side by side and SAW the difference. In fact, my sister was playing SMB for NesterJ and I happened to look over and noticed the difference that way, then held them up side by side, if you want explicit details/truth. Plus, I told you the story about my mate in the UK. So how then can you call me a liar or say that I have a biased point of view? That's ok, you've never listened to what I've said anyway, man. I don't hold it against you. But why ask questions when you're going to screen the responses and disqualify ppl based on those responses? pffffft.

That image wasn't photoshopped.

11. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Look, I know guano and he does has two psp. Hes white one does have a brighter screen then the black one. I seen pics of his psp, but if you never seen them, dont be judging, just like the saying goes, "dont judge a book by its cover".

12. Haisook

Haisook Member

As I've mentioned eariler, I emailed Sony Middle East about that. Its office is in Dubai, as I'll be purchasing my PSP-1004 (Europ. ver) from there. They have confirmed that ALL PSPs have the same screen no matter where you buy them from.

Here's the email:

My Email

It''s widely thought on the internet that the PSPs made for the Japanese
    market (PSP-1000) have better display screens - notably brighter and
    crisper - than those of other PSPs worldwide. Also, many articles talk
    about the former having a SHARP screen, while all others having lower
    quality SAMSUNG screens.

I would like to hear a confirmation or a denial about this subject.

Thank you.
    ------------------

Sony's Email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting Sony.

We have understood your query with regards to the PSP.

Further, all PSP'S have that same LCD; there is no difference in quality if they are bought in another country.

We trust that the above information will be useful for you, for further information please feel free to call us.

Regards,
    Melroy Fernandes
    Customer Contact Center
    Customer Communications Marketing
    Sony Gulf FZE, Dubai UAE
    UAE Toll Free 800-7669
    Working Hours: 09:00-17:00; Sunday till Thursday
    Email: contactcentre.mea@ap.sony.com
    URL: www.sony-mea.com

Hmm.. so what do you say now?

13. Haisook

Haisook Member

Calm down. There's no need to be nervous.
    I didn't mean to call you a liar. I'm just practical.
    One person saying there's a difference is not always a definite evidence. I mean I've heard from at least 2 other guys who also own both versions that there's absolutely no difference. That's why I emailed Sony. Check the reply above. They say there's NO difference in screen quality.

Actually, it's rational that way. Sony would never provide lower qualtiy products for huge markets like the US and EU. And actually those numbers (1000, 1001, 1002,...etc) refer to which country/continent the unit was supposed to be sold in, not where it's made.

And nobody ever would be able to tell if an image had been photoshopped or not, especially when it comes to just adjusting the Hue value for a bluer tint, for instance.

May be your US version screen is faulty?

14. guano

guano Regular member

I know what I saw and no marketing scheme is going to sway the integrity of my statement. Do you really think Sony would tell you, "Yea, we made bad screens for the US, but thought Japan deserved better." Sony will never admit to something like that, even if it were a testing phase they were going thru. Tell me this, if Sony weren't going to offer any difference in screens at all, then why have a Samsung screen and a Sharp screen? What's the use? If the quality was the same, why pay more for going thru two diff manufacturers? Do you see what I'm saying? There wasn't a problem w/ my black PSP. I thought it had a beautiful display until I saw my white one. I will not digress from my standpoint. Do you think just b/c I see something in writing, it will change my mind from what I saw? That's like watching the X-files on TV one night and then getting a letter from the TV station saying, "guano: you didn't actually watch the X-files two nights ago. It was Gone with the Wind that you watched."

Why do you persist in giving me a hard time about this? I mean, I told you what I saw, tehjoker says he saw pics of my PSP and I told you a story about a mate who saw the exact same thing as tehjoker and I. Sony is a friend that will lie to you. They're always trying to cover up their tracks from something.

15. Haisook

Haisook Member

OK guano. I appreciate your comments and opinions.

But could you post a pic? Please use low lighting instead of complete darkness, so that we can actually see 2 PSPs there. Not calling you a liar or anything. I just want to see how they really look different. I don't believe so much in that popular pic I posted above.

I'd appreciate it.

16. Haisook

Haisook Member

I've come across this article today:
    http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/news3/new.asp?newID=70

The reviewer received a US-release PSP and he had a Japan-release one too. Here's what he says about them:

17. guano

guano Regular member

No, I'm not going to post a pic for two reasons:

1.) I don't have two PSPs anymore

2.) I'm not going out of my way for another thread that will be forgotten about in 2 days.

Forget I even posted my comments in this thread, man. Believe what you will.

18. lilfree22

lilfree22 Regular member

yeah thier is a big diffrence i had bouth jap and us psp's but thanks to some one whos name starts with gua and ends with no its bricked lol but owell its only a psp

and yeah wouldnt make sence going out of your way to take some pics wich will be forgoten in a few hours not even days lol

19. guano

guano Regular member

Dude, if you want, just send me your PSP. I'll see if I can fix it then return it either way.

20. lilfree22

lilfree22 Regular member

lol naw i dont even use my psp any more it got sooo boreing and o yeah i think hex was lookin for you last night