1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SCSI Error on Slow Burn

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by PunkJr, Jul 22, 2003.

1. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

I have just bought a Samsung Multi SR-T03b and I am using Shintaro x1 media. When I use Copy Xpress it burns discs at x2 even though my media is x1. When I use Nero it auto detects at x2 burn. The burns are always successful however, when I manually select Nero or RecordNow to burn at x1 I get the SCSI Target Error message. My x2 burns are always successful, what is wrong? Is it the media, hardware, firmware or software?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Some discs do burn at 2x even though they are rated at 1x. If you ask me, what are you complaining about? You seem to be getting quality back-ups at twice the speed. I'd be happy with that.

3. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

I have been getting alot of skips on my DVD's and I think it may be that I am burning at x2. I am guessing that at x1 I will get better quality, ie deeper burn. I may be wrong.

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No, you may be right. If you are are getting skips, it could be three things:
    1). The way in which the disc was compressed
    2). The way in which the disc was burnt
    3). The most likely one would be the discs themselves

Shintaro is not a media i have ever heard off. I recommend you buy yourself some Grade A Ritek G03's. You will have good burns with these discs.

Chris

5. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

Oriphus, I have tried a few movies on $10 TDK Armour Plated DVD-R disks with the same result. I have know have tried different media, different burning programmes and different programmes to compress and I am still getting skips on various movies. This is very frustrating and I am not doing anymore until I can find out exactly what is doing this. Do you have any more ideas?

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Right, you will need to install ASPI Layer version 4.71. You can get it off the Adaptec website.

SCSI target error means that the software cannot talk to your drive correctly. You will need to make sure you have all the latest drivers for the burner installed.
    Also, make sure that any packet writing software ( I.E. Direct CD, HP-DLA, etc.) and any filesharing software (Kazaa, Bear Share, etc.) are all disabled.

You may need to update Microsoft Direct X from thier web site, and update your ASPI layer with our utility located at:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2003
  7. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

Oriphus could it be that X Copy Xpress is causing these skips and jumps on my movies? When I do get these skips and jumps, I try to fix the movie by taking a 1:1 copy using Nero, and it still jumps. I have DX9 and have tried ASPI layers. Think it is software.

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It could be. Have u you tried any other software successfully? If not go to the user guide section in the url in my signature below and try DVD Shrink.

Chris

9. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

Oriphus, I have just bought some Shintaro 4x media. I have been using 1x. My question to you is this; considering that my burner only likes burning at 2x and not 1x, will I get a better burn or better end result if I burn at 2x on 4x media as opposed to 2x on 1x or 2x media?

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its a hard call, generally it may help, but it can also damage your hardware according to some of the warnings given out on websites for 4x media.

11. PunkJr

PunkJr Guest

I am now using 4x media and DVD Shrink, and I am now restarting after a back-up and also defragging after rip. Burning at 2x. I am now having no problems whatsoever. Thanks guys.

12. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Glad you got it sorted. happy burning