1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sd card do i need to format

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by blubear2, Oct 4, 2009.

1. blubear2

blubear2 Member

hi,new 2 this forum have just purchased a vivitar cam corder works ok but not to sure about sd cards do i need to format them,if so does that mean you cant record on them again.any help woud be be grateful.regards blubear2

2. mike.m

mike.m Regular member

You don't need to format them. If there are files on there that you don't want you can always delete them manually, by connecting it to your PC using the built-in memory card reader (usually located on front of PC).

If yours doesn't have one, you can always buy a cheap SD to USB adapter. Once you have it connected to your PC, find your SD by going to "My Computer" and open it ex. (Removable disk :G)

If it's a brand new SD, then there shouldn't be any files on it. You can always copy/delete files from your SD over and over again. It's not like a CD or DVD if that's what you’re thinking.

You can always copy the pictures/videos from your SD to your PC the same way as you open your SD on your PC. There’s also a little slider on the left of the SD. Sliding this “Down” will lock your SD, meaning nothing can be recorded/deleted on the SD.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  3. anishe

anishe Member

thanks, mike.m, your post is quite useful.I just want to know such stuff.