1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SD Card problem, plz HELP ME

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by Doctor_DS, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Doctor_DS

Doctor_DS Regular member

ok, this topic didn't have any related to DS. I don't know where to put this topic, so i just put it in here, because this forum discuss about micro sd, and it probably have the same solution for my problem.

So i have a 4GB mini SD Topram. last night after tranfering video to my mini sd, the file got corrupted, and the mini sd show that i have been used the 512mb, but there's no folder or files in the mini sd. so my mini sd like 3.5GB now. then somehow now the memory capacity show that 3.6GB used space, and only left about couple MB free space. I need help to recover my mini sd to 4GB again. I don't care about the files, i just want my 4GB free space again.

2. mr_hanky

mr_hanky Regular member

You can try formatting the card:
    In windows right-click the card and choose format, leave all the options as default except make sure it's not "quick format"

Should that not work you need the HP USB tool, not sure the actual filename, but it is a much more powerful formatter.

3. Doctor_DS

Doctor_DS Regular member

i reformat it, a friend of mine told me about it. but there's only one option that i can pick, and i think it's the quick format. But it work now. Also is this always happen to flash card

4. spathi

spathi Regular member

this doesnt usually happen to flash cards. when you make changes to the card from a pc, make sure to use the 'safe remove' option. usually with windows you can right click the drive name of the card and click 'eject' in the context menu.
    this flushes all buffers to the card and ensures that all data has been written, so you can remove it anytime after that.

you can also try running chkdsk/fsck on the filesystem instead of formatting it. make sure the option to fix all errors is selected.

5. FagLethal

FagLethal Member

Something similar has happens to my girlfriend all the time with her digital camera. She will delete files off the card, then take the card out. She puts the card in her camera and had no room left on the card. Then she puts it back in the computer and it has no files on it, but no room on it either.

I was told the reason is, until you safely remove the drive the files are deleted, but the space has not been deleted on the card, so the storage space on the card appears to disapear. It is very noticed able on a mac, you can delete files of a flash card and check the disk space on the card, and it doesn't change until you empty the trash(recycle bin). Then your room comes back.

Reformat the card, and always safely remove and you should be fine. Also most 4 gig cards are HCSD or SDHC cards, and need the drivers installed on the computer to correctly work, they should be on the card and install the first time you put the card in.