1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SDHC cards and Wii hacking

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by Ray92, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

I hacked my Wii using a 4GB SDHC card and the letterbomb exploit, and it worked fine.

The guide also made me install the homebrew channel, bootmii, and a NAND backup.

For the next stage of the guide says that to install priiloader, WADs, and some applications, only an SD card will work not a SDHC.

Can someone explain why, and what the risk of using the SDHC is because I cant find this info anywhere.

Thanks
    (Its a red Wii 4.3U)

2. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Most guides were written pre 4.1 wii firmware, 4.0 system menu and below cannot see sdhc cards, hence will not work. When installing wads the system menu is not running so it may not be able to see the card, I would always use what is recommended. Potentially it should just mean that the WADs cannot be seen, but I would not want to try it unless I had Bootmii as Boot2

Also some programs (backing up your nand) are very picky on what SD card they will work with. I always use a Sandisk 2.0GB and have had no issues.

3. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Thanks for reply.
    I looked in all the stores here, but unfortunately all of them have told me thier Sandisk SD cards only start from 4gb (SDHC).
    I was able to backup my NAND to this SDHC card when using the letterbomb exploit.

You say that it could potentially not see WADS, what sort of problems could this cause?

The reason I want to ask is that my younger brother is being a pain in the ass about his Wii, and I could get it done quicker if I just used the SDHC card, but don't want to take any risks.