1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

seagate external hdd problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sean85, Apr 30, 2012.

1. sean85

sean85 Member

hi guys really hope you can help me fix this at the weekend my 1tb seagate external hard drive started bleeping constantly with the green light just flashing i looked on the internet and found out it could be a power supply issue so i bought a new 1 and its still the same im now guessing it the power supply board i opened the hard drive today and there's no obvious sign of damage so my question is

1) Is there a way of connecting the hard drive internally to my pc that will give it the 12v supply and be able to read the data thats stored on it

2) Do you know any where that i could get a new power supply board ( Ive looked on google and can only find the circuit board for the drive motor and data transfer

the hard drive i have is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00238KZPM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if your motherboard has sata then you can connect the drive to it & the psu.

3. sean85

sean85 Member

Cheers mate just looked in my pc and i have the power connector just got to buy the data cable the data cable but looks like it will work

4. ddp

i know it works as i've done it a number of times when not using the usb sata adapter.

5. sean85

sean85 Member

hi mate i just got the new data cable and connected it up as in the pic but now with this hdd connected my computer will not boot any ideas what i need to do the origanal hdd has the red cable the seagate 1tb has the yellow[​IMG]

6. ddp

check in the bios to see which drive is connected to which sata port as your boot drive should be sata0 or sata1 if sata0 is not on the motherboard. f8, 10, 11 or f12 should give you the option of boot menu to select what drive to boot from.

7. sean85

sean85 Member

cheers mate just looked at the bios and the origanal hdd is on sata 1 it seems to be when ever i connect the power to the seagate 1tb hdd that my pc just wont load like its being shorted out by the hdd might try to get a new circuit board for it but just had a quick look and they are like £50 each and a new hdd only cost a little more so might just get a new 1 just means losing the data i have on this one

thanks for your help mate

8. ddp

no problem.

9. borhan9

borhan9 Active member

Hi mate for your problem i would advise you to download a program called Everest this will help you install all the drivers you need.

Ultimate Version

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/system_information/everest_ultimate_edition.cfm

Free Version

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EVEREST_Free_Edition_d4181.html

Give that a go it may help.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  10. ddp

spammer spammed