1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Search Issues??? Within WindowsXP..

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by sandman42, May 31, 2007.

1. sandman42

sandman42 Regular member

I go to Start>Search>Files and Folders

ANd whenever I search for something it freezes and I get the windows error message box and I click Report Problem and then I try it again...

Everytime I use the search function I get an error message...

What is wrong with my comp? Please help fix...Also my computer sometimes randomly Restarts or I get the BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Please help me fix these problems.

Last edited: May 31, 2007
  2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) basically is telling you that you have either a hardware or software issue on your PC. You need to learn the basics in order to learn how to handle it. Here is a guide to help you resolve that issue.
    http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1647

As far as your search assistant not working it means that there is a problem in you i386 folder. You will need the original XP disk to make the corrections. Read this guide in getting it restored. It is the second question asked on the page.
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/top10faqs2.htm

Good luck!

3. sandman42

sandman42 Regular member

No clue where the Windows XP Disc is so how would I go about this? The search works but about half way in it freezes up.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Do you know of someone else that has the original XP disk that is the same version as yours? If yours is Pro then you will need the Pro disk, if it is Home then you will need that disk.

If you have the original disk you can follow the instructions or just find the i386 folder on the disk and copy the two files into your PC's i386 folder. You will be asked if you want to replace the new file with the old file say yes.

In the mean time I will see if I can find those two files hosted somewhere. I'll let you know if I find them.

5. syxguns

syxguns Active member

6. sandman42

sandman42 Regular member

It's Legit I lost the XP Pro Disc awhile back when my friend built this computer for me.

7. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Good to hear. Let me know if the download gets the problem resolved.

8. sandman42

sandman42 Regular member

I found the Folder where the stuff was stored but I still get the error when I search