1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sec 50 shows as 37

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by CCEncoder, Sep 17, 2004.

1. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

while using either AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter or the TEMPEG merger-joiner tool, I will have the same problem, when trying to cut the video from an specific frame as previewed on the preview window, because it will show the wrong frame everytime, I want to start the cutting from Second 50, but I need to be exact with miliseconds, but I can't cuz Second 50 shows the 1:01Min, so I don't know where I am, I think is a problem with the video file but I'm not sure please advise. The cutting does the job right, in terms of what second it is saying, it will cut from, but it doens't adddress the correct frame so I can't tell what I'm starting to cut.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can not Edit Mpeg files on a Frame accurate Basis...Mpeg Files MUST be edited on an I Frame..

If you want to do accurate editing of Mpeg files you Must use a Real Mpeg editor like "Mpeg2VCR"....

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Yes, I agree: Mpeg2VCR (a.k.a. Womble MPEG Editor) is the best MPEG program I've ever seen.

4. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

this program looks good but I notice it wants to reencode my file! and it will significaly increase its size and I don't wanna to! I don't need reencoding either, is there an option like virtualdub does for direct stream copy?

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Mpeg2VCR does not re-encode your File...well it will if you Try to Join 2 files that have different Specs but when doing simple Cutting and Joining of Identical files it will not re-encode them....

6. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

give me a link for the program I may be using the wrong version.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

I don"t have a Link to it off hand...The version i use is version 3.14....

If you use some of the Effects and Transitions in Mpeg2VCR it will re-encode the Frames that have the effects and Transitions but leave the Rest alone and if you Make a Cut part way through a GOP it will re-encode that Gop but that is generally less than 18 frames....
    You can also make it re-encode your File if you Change any of the Settings in the Export/Save file/Template settings.....

8. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

I don't know any of those things, what are the steps to cut the first 50sec of a movie?

9. Minion

Minion Senior member

Simple...Just use the Mark-in and Mark-Out buttons and the Slider to select the Part of the File you want to save and then click the Yellow "save" button and wait about 2-5 minutes and it will be saved as a new file.....

10. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

it will reencode it, I need something like AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter but that shows the right frame on the right time, this program does the job fine if you give it the right time in seconds but does not display the right frame being cut from. mpeg-vcr says the final final will be 1200MB or so and the other program only cuts and streams copy it.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can change the Way Mpeg2VCR displays Time ,You can Make it display in Frames or in Time....

That is what Mpeg2VCR does it Cuts and Just stream copies the File without re-encodeing, I have never had it re-encode a File on me EVER and I use it many times a Day....

And you never go by what Mpeg2VCR says the Output file size will be because it calculates the size by useing the Max bitrate in the Header.....

Also don"t change any of the setting in the Save File settings or it will re-encode your file....

12. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

Why doesn't mpeg-vcr displays all the miniseconds? is only goes like 01:01:29 and then jumps to 01:02:00 and is not accurate, I would rather use the funcionality of AVI MPEG ASF WMV Splitter but if it just displayed the right frame! any ideas?

13. Minion

Minion Senior member

You can make it display it in Frames...

This "01:01:29" means One Hour One Minute and 29 Frames, NOT 29 Milliseconds, You can NOT display a Timecode in Milliseconds with Video because at 30fps you can Only divide the each second By 30 not 100...

If you want it to display the Video in Frames and not time then load in a Mpeg file and click the Button that looks like an + right under the Time code Box and a window will pop up and on the Bottom left were it says "Format" select "Frames" and then click "OK" and then the file will be displayed in Frames and Not time...

14. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

no no you lier, you knew it all the time, attention everybody mpeg-vcr reencodes your movie, I made a simple experiment cutting the entire move using that program and the same movie with the same time lenght, went up from 778 to 785MB! and the movie looked different giving the impression of poor reencoding.

15. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well That extra File size is called Padding all editors add or Take away some Padding...
    Well if it is re-encodeing then it is only re-encodeing for you...

You will know if it is re-encodeing if it takes forever to render your File but if it renders the Whole movie in under 10 minutes then it is Not re-encodeing it..

And Don"t Call Me a Liar...I spend a Lot of time Helping Poeple Like you and I don"t need you disrespected by the Likes of you.....

16. CCEncoder

CCEncoder Regular member

yeah I think is as you said, it can't be reencoding it cuz it will take forever and it only took 10min, but still I don't want it that way, so is there another alternatives?

17. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well there is a New Native mpeg editor just released by the Makers of Tmpgenc...It does Cutting and joining on a Frame accurate basis and it also has support for Dolby AC3 audio in Mpeg/Vob files as long as you have the Tmpgenc Dolby AC3 Plugin installed....
    It works on the same sort of Basis as Mpeg2VCR and only re-encodes the First few frames of a GOP if you make a Cut not on a I Frame but it doesn"t have effects or transitions Like Mpeg2VCR....

There is also a Editor by the Makers of Mpeg2VCR called "Womble Mpeg Video Wizard 2003" which is a More Full featured Time Line Editor with Transitions and effects that also supports adding of other audio tracks and seperate audio and Video files, It is the editor I use Most often....

Cheers

18. Minion

Minion Senior member

delete me!!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004