1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Second HDD problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by romance, Oct 31, 2004.

1. romance

romance Member

I recently put a new motherboard and cpu into my existing PC. I have two hard drives. An 80gig that I use as my master and I have it partitioned into two drives. And a 120gig drive that is my secondary drive. I reformated my main partition on the Master drive and reinstalled windows on it. Everything worked fine, it detected my partition and my files were still on it. So I tried to put my second drive in and when I started my system up it says it can't detect either drives. I really need the files on my second drive. I hope I don't have to reformat. ><

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if you have on same cable it looks like you have both set as master so motherboard can't because of conflict. change jumper on 120gig to slave & make certain 80gig is set as master

3. romance

romance Member

They are both set as slave and master as before. I didn't change anything.

4. ddp

what make is hd's

5. romance

romance Member

Master 80gig Seagate. Slave 120gig Western Digital.

6. ddp

put 120gig on secondary port. the problem is a hardware conflict between both drives on same cable. take cd/dvd rom off secondary cable to let bios see both drives. once seen reconfigure cd/dvd rom as slave to 120gig as master

7. romance

romance Member

I tried that, and still nothing. It just doesn't recognize my drive at all. My only chance of using the drive again is to reformat it. ; ; goodbye portfolio! Thanks for your help ddp your always quick with responses.

8. ddp

do you have or access to another computer that you can slave your drive to & download portfolio to. make 120gig master & 80gig slave if bios sees them like that at all

9. romance

romance Member

I do have another PC i tried it in, and it did the same thing. It made it so neither drives were recognized. I'll try switching master slave and see how that goes.

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

If your WD 120gb has a ten pin jumper confiuration try setting to 'single' and connect to secondary IDE channel with no other devices.

11. romance

romance Member

I took my two drives. Both Set as master on seperate IDE cables. It detected my 80 gig but still no go with the 120 ;;

12. ddp

you 120gig is western digital?? don't set as master if by itself, take jumpers off 120gig & see if board id's. one of reasons i don't like wd