1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Secure "mobile broadband" for Netbook ...?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shyguy778, Jan 12, 2012.

1. shyguy778

shyguy778 Member

Hi there ^_^ (I've just signed up here !! lol)

I just had a question to ask about using a mobile broadband connection.

What would be the best way to have a reliable (and VERY secure) personal internet connection on the go for a laptop/netbook device?

I've done a little research and it seems that there are only two main options that I have to choose from:

=> Tethering using a smartphone
    => Using a "connect" card

I don't even know if these are the ONLY two options, but beyond this, I am at a bit of a loss.

The connection would need to be suitable enough, to say, use Ebay and PayPal on the go without there being a security risk.

I would also like some reference as to how fast a connection I need, what is available, and how it differs from conventional broadband (in terms of speed and otherwise).

What are the pros and cons of both (tethering or connect card) ? Would either of them be adequate for a secure connection? How/what standards would I be using to connect (e.g. bluetooth, WiFi, 3G, etc.) ? Could someone explain in detail?

What kind of device should I invest in? A smartphone, netbook, laptop, tablet...? I was kind of leaning towards a netbook, because then I could also use it to practice coding some web documents (something else that I would like to do). The device also needs as long battery life as possible.

And lastly, if possible, for someone living in the UK, how much do you reckon it would actually cost to get a decent device that suits my needs (whichever type you feel would be most appropriate) and to maintain an internet connection on a monthly basis? Are there any companies and/or brands that you would recommend?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice =)

2. shyguy778

shyguy778 Member

lol, er guys a little help here ...?

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. shyguy778

shyguy778 Member

lol sorry =$