1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seems like there is a lot more low-grade media than say a year ago.

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by jay33, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jay33

jay33 Regular member

I have been copying for nearly 2 years and in the past 6 months it seems I have had all sorts of problems with crap media, mostly from name brand companies. I guess maybe since media prices have dropped that big names like TDK, Memorex and Fuji are shopping around for the cheapest price, not concerned with quality.

I bought some Fuji DVD+r that are TY's and they suck. Most of the discs I have burned won't play in my XBox, which will play every other disc I put in it, and several of them that will play in my other dvd players have freezing, stuttering and total lockups. On the other hand, I bought some DVD-R Fuji, which are Prodisc. These work fine and haven't given me any problems.

The Prodisc (-r's) are from Taiwan, while the TY's (+r's)are from Japan, so go figure. Everybody says TY's are great and to get media from Japan, but this doesn't hold true in this instance. I am gettign very irritated with the whole situation. The most consistant media I have bought in-store have been the Verbatim Movie Reel discs, which all seem to be MCC.

2. TurboB18C

TurboB18C Member

Hmm that's really strange, I use Fuji TY's and have not had a failure or bad copy out of around 200+ discs.

But I do agree w/ all the bad media that is coming out. My friend buys those deals from Frys that makes DVD's like 10 cents ea. so he doesn't care if say, 25% fail b/c it would still be a better deal than buying good media at a higher price. I think his attitude is the mainstream of media buyers, so it makes sense that companies are goin on the coaster highway.

DL discs need to drop in price!

3. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

The best way to go when buying media is to stay away from rebranded disks. Buy Taiyo Yuden brand disks, which is the best way to make sure you aren't buying fake disks, which seem to have been flooding the market for a while now. I've burned 500 out of 500 flawless Taiyo Yuden silver faced disks from meritline at 47.50 for 100. The price is hard to beat and the quality is impecable. 5 months later they're still flawless, and that seems to be about the time some of my other disks started to crap out.