1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sees Config Disk as GC disc, then read error

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by isobelle, Nov 7, 2007.

1. isobelle

isobelle Member

Hey guys,

I've been having issues with my Wiikey, and figured i'd start a thread while i kill time burning all the different versions of the setup disc i could find.

the story so far:

i've installed the wiikey myself, I think i did a good job. I'm not a pro, but took my time and made sure each wire is sufficiently 'in place'. Not gonna bother with the hassle of posting pictures... but the install went smoothly.

it's a Japanese wii i bought the day it came out (live here in japan), updated to 3.1J firmware yesterday before doing all this.

tried initially burning the 1.3 config disk to no name media, it recognizes it as a GC disk, then gives error messages. I found a thread here that says i should try loading the 1.2 first, so i ran out, bought expensive media (Fuji, TDK, and Maxell... hard to find verbatim in japan, so i bought three different types) went ahead and burnd the 1.2 update at 1x using Imgburn. no luck.

found another thread talking about 1.2b, burning that now.

my question is mostly: if it recognizes the disc as a gamcube disc, then something has to be working right? i took it back apart and checked my solder points, it looks solid, i even redid one point, even thought it looked okay. no mishaps during the install (briding gaps with solder, or messy points that needed cleaning up). i'm just not able to boot anything other than originals at this point (which all work fine).

anyone have any other ideas to throw out there?

2. isobelle

isobelle Member

forgot to mention: since buying the 'good' media, i tired it on each of those, all with the same disk read errors... maxell DVD-R, Fuji DVD-R, and TDK DVD-RW (these were all the 1.3 and 1.2 versions. burning "1.2b" filechopped to full size at 1x as i type this).

:/

3. isobelle

isobelle Member

gotcha!

found this response in another thread:

go to this link 1.2b is here

this is your link of 1.2b from http://btmg.freehostia.com/upload/config1.2b.zip

...and that one worked flawlessly. i probably didn't even need the different media, just needed to run this '1.2b' one first, to turn the region coding off. after that, the 1.3 version of the config disc worked fine, as well as the noname media backups i originally made to test this bad boy. the cheap media results in tiny bit of random black "snow" during cutscenes, but the thing is working awesome.

case closed.

hooray.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2007
  4. Wiister

Wiister Member

thanks for this info. I had the same problem. Trying it now. Read another forum that suggested running Gcos 1.5 then running update v.1.3.

5. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

I had major problems with the disc read error messages after installing my wiikey. I couldn't get it to read the 1.9b, 1.2, 1.2b, or 1.3 discs, regardless of what media I used. Long story short, I burned about 30 dvd's that couldn't be read. I went out and bought the Verbatim discs...same problem. System would recognize it as a Gamecube disc, but then I would get the dreaded "please eject disc and turn off system" message. Here's what FINALLY worked for me.
    I read one post that suggested burning at 4x, which I did using IMGburn. I was able to flash with 1.9b, then burned the config discs also at 4x. Config 1.2 wouldn't read, and neither did 1.3 (yet), I was able to use 1.2b to config, afterwhich 1.3 worked. BTW, I don't think media was the issue, as I burned these onto Memorex DVD+R and Staples DVD-R discs, which the system read fine.
    So....after all this burning, trial and error, it came down to this...

IMGburn at 4x (I used the verify feature also, if that makes a difference)
    Flash with 1.9b first
    Config with 1.2b next
    Config with 1.3 after 1.2b
    Media was NOT an issue...at least not with me, as I was able to use 'inferior' media successfully.

I have yet to try to burn any games yet, as I'm sure that will be another huge headache, but at least i'm happy that I'm not seeing the black screen of death anymore :)

6. isobelle

isobelle Member

yeah, my initial problem wasn't burn speed or media. i initially ran out and bought three different types of media, thinking that was the problem, but it wasn't. everything was being seen as a GC game, just nothing was getting any further than that. Clicking the game up in the top left channel lead to a japanese error message stating something to the effect of "please eject the disc and powercycle your wii" (i live in japan, with a japanese wii).

once i found the 1.2b disc, everything (including the crappy media 4x and 1x burns) all worked fine.