1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

selecting/omitting chapters

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ak101, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ak101

ak101 Member

can someone point me in the right direction? i tried a search to see if this has already been discussed....i'm sure it has but i couldn't find anything about how to do it.

what i want to do is be able to select, or in my case unselect, chapters from the extras. basically, i want the deleted scenes and maybe some of the other extras but not the director's comments or some of the others.

i'm using shrink and decrypter right now....what else do i need? shrink will let me "reauthor" but seems it's either the feature only or the whole thing, nothing in between.

2. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Shrink is alot more flexible than the whole movie or just the main. The Shrink/decryptor method is great "and free". It should be all you need to learn how to backup dvd's.

Check out these guides, they should point ya in the right direction on the versatility of shrink:

The version on this site is old,but the methods are still the same
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php

Here's Pete's guides, with his humor at no extra charge
    http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html "great Shrink/Decryptor guide here"

Also BBMayo's Guides: "word has it they won't be there long"
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html

That should keep you busy for a little, if your having any problems along the way stop back by and we will get ya sorted out. Good Luck and welcome to the club.

3. ak101

ak101 Member

ou812,

thanks for the links. great info there.

i have played around a little with the reauthoring in shrink. i guess what i'm asking is how do i delete some of the extras and have the menus still work? i saw in pete's guide that you can use nero-recode2 to do a feature only with working menus. i'm not familiar with nero....mostly bacuase i haven't HAD to use it.

thanks for the help

4. OU812Ono

OU812Ono Regular member

Never used Recode myself either. If you want you could change some of the extras to still images, which will help save on space and still keep the functionality of the menus.

When you open the Dvd you want in shrink, in the Dvd Structure menu double click on Extras. Browse to the one you want to edit and highlight it, to the right in the Compression Setings window right under where it says Video there is a slider and a menu window, it should say "automatic" open by clicking the \/ arrow and choose Still Image or Still Picture. It will reduce the size of the file by replacing it with either an image or still frames.

Also to save space I unselect all but the AC3 5.1 soundtrack in the main movie, even if you play it in stereo the dvd player should downmix it to 2ch. I get rid of the subtitles as well since I never use them.

If you have Nero I would look into it more, alot of people on here love it, so it might be worth your time to investigate further.

Have fun and play around, afterall the fun is in the journey,not the destination.

5. scorched

scorched Member

i use vobblanker and ifoedit to do what you want. i believe vobblanker is easier to use, but ifoedit may be a little quicker. Vobblanker basically scans the video_ts folder and then allows you blank out portions of the dvd you don't want. Its a little better than converting the unwanted portions to still pictures, because when you play the dvd the deleted parts aren't there. Same thing with ifoedit, though its looks a bit more complicated, but it is more detailed as it shows individual chapters. Once you find the chapter you want, hit delete playback, and then save the new ifo overwriting the old one. I would suggest backing up the ifos before trying this because if you mess up, you can just replace the messed up ifos.

6. ak101

ak101 Member

thanks. i'll try vobblanker.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Nero Recode was written by the author of DVD Shrink. He now works for Nero. You will find Recode and Shrink are very similar in operation. If you know how to use Shrink then Recode won't be a problem for you. The difference is Recode can not decrypt like Shrink can by itself.

Jerry