1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi Bricked PSP?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Taeleon, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

Hi I need a little help with my PSP. I tried downgrading to Firmware 1.5 by upgrading to 3.03 from 2.81 then using the GTA LCS method plus the 3.03 downgrader.

Everything went well and I have a PSP with 1.5 Firmware but the screen isn't working right.

When I turn it on Ihear everything fine, but don't see anything. I can navigate all the menus etc I just can't see them. Now if I leave my PSP for about 60 seconds without touching anything the screen comes back on but as soon as I press a button to navigate the menus the screen goes black again but the PSP is still on.

I tried upgrading back to 2.0 and 3.03 to see if it fixed the problem but it just errors when I try to load the software and I'm guessing it is asking me to go "back" as the screen wont load when trying to upgrade the firmware but then does again when back on the main screen after 60 seconds.

Anyone had this problem? Is it possible to fix this or is this as good as a brick?

Thanks

2. yohex

yohex Guest

It the power adapter pluged in, something about 1.5 that does that, turns off when you have the power pluged in.

3. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

It does it regardless of Plugged into the mains or running off battery power.

4. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Try turning the brightness up on the screen, as I remember that being an issue with some people when they downgraded.

5. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

Nope not a brightness issue. Birghtness is set at max and the screen is completely black and like I said if I leave it for 60 seconds it comes on and the brightness there is fine but as soon as i hit a button to navigate it goes black again.

6. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

i have a few ideas: maybe u have a newer motherboard and that messed with it or u just need to reflash 1.5 by downgrading

7. Reitfor

Reitfor Guest

Hmm..Try upgrading to 3.40 and see if that fixes the problem cause maybe your flash0 got messed up in the dowgrading...

8. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

It was a brand new PSP from Game this morning, so that could be the issue. And about upgrading to 3.4 it just errors when I try and install any updates and just forces me to press O to go back to the main menu.

I changed the back light to never turn off in power save options and now the screen doesnt even come on after 60 seconds, so I'm completely blind lol.

Can someone give me a step by step guide on what buttons to press to turn it back to 2 mins?

Like Left as far as possible, down, down, down, down, X, down, down, X, etc etc (but obviously what the path is lol)

9. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

I just thought, it seems maybe that the screen turning off function after two mins is revearsed, so its always off and comes on after 2 mins, and now ive got it set to never go off its never coming on. O_O Maybe I'm a bit delusional in thinking that, I don't know, but it seems to make sense, maybe just a coincidence?

10. yohex

yohex Guest

Lol, I didn't mean it would turn off, I meant the screen would be black with the AC adaptor plugged, happens to 3 of the psp that I've downgraded, but I guess I'm wrong about your siutuation.

11. Pud1000

Pud1000 Regular member

Try upgradeing to 2.0 then downgradeing to 1.5 again---DONT UPGRADE TO 3.40 its stupid go to a downgradeable firmware.

12. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

I can't upgrade at all to anything, it just errors. :(

13. trumando

trumando Member

Hi guy's, i'm new to this type of thing. But i tried to downgrade my 2.71 ta-082 psp using the dark alex 1.50 converter thing and have the same problem as explained above (the screen is black until after 2 minutes after which the screen comes on and everything seems fine. As soon as I press anything then the screen goes black again).

I was wondering if anyone can help me, I only brought it a couple of days ago and it's a waste of £120 if i've messed it up already!

I also thought that it was a reverse of the idle screen thing, so it's not totally destroyed... but it just needs to be changed somehow. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

14. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

I ended up taking mine back to my local Game store, luckily I used to work there a few months back so am on good terms with all the staff so managed to get it changed for a new one despite them knowing what I had done.

I never found a solution for it, and your only the second person including my self who I have seen with this problem. I figure it's possible something to do with the TA-082 motherboard that did it but from what I can see, there is no imediate fix for it, unless someone knows something who hasn't seen this thread.

Sorry. :(

15. trumando

trumando Member

Hi again, i changed the brightness on my psp and now it works fine. I'm now in 1.50 psp... woohoo! however, i want to enjoy the uses of further firmwares and still be able to use iso's. how can i do this? Do I have to upgrade to something like dark alex's 3.02ea or 3.02eb or something?

I'm not very good at this type of thing so a guide or something would be of massive use to me if one is available, or if someone could explain to me how to get iso's to work etc.

Thanks again for your support and you're help though people.

16. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Called it! lol

Hey trumando send me a private message and I will help you one on one with the custom firmware stuff.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  17. Taeleon

Taeleon Member

That didn't work for me. :( I must of really done something to mine. XD Oh well I managed to get it changed anyhow. Lol.

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Taeleon,

Glad to hear you got it working, dropping $200 on a PSP to have it turn into a brick is a major pain. If you need any help private message me.

19. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

its because of the new psps they have to be 2.71 or above or else the brightness goes

20. scott2k7

scott2k7 Guest

They've discovered that this issue seems to be isolated among the more recent PSP versions of the TA-082/A-086 batch - those that come with FW 2.71 or later. To explain further, here's a direct quote from homebrew hero Fanjita:

This means that if you run a lower firmware than v2.71, then the display isn't given the right brightness signals. Where normally you would see a bright screen, and it would go dark after a while of not pressing any keys, now it is normally dark, and goes bright if you don't press anything for a couple of minutes.

The best fix is obviously to install a firmware that can control the display correctly. Fortunately the OE firmwares, e.g. 3.10 OE, will do this. The only drawback is that, when running homebrew in the 1.5 kernel mode, you will get the old screen behaviour. But you should be able to work around this by pressing the 'screen' button a few times.

While that in itself can be a bit technically highfalutin for some of the newbies, Fanjita actually gives a suggestion for the more advanced users. You can actually create some hybrid firmware "that will use the later screenhandling code in the 1.50 kernel mode of OE."

Sorry if all the jargon might be a bit too much, and that's why we had to post some direct quotes so as not to leave room for error during lost-in-translation moments.