1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Semi Newbie ? on types of file formats

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by ccpat6, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ccpat6

ccpat6 Member

Ok, so I'm still pretty much a newbie with some questions.
    I wanted to change from dvd's to an external hard drive-initially I was wanting to have it so I could play files directly through my blueray player but lately I've been thinking about just running the system through a computer with a hdmi ran to our tv.
    Here's my question-I've been using DVd fab to rip all my dvds. It stores them into vob files which I can play through windows media player. I've also converted many of them into other formats through Freemake video converter but it seems that sometimes these conversions have glitches (is it the program or usually the initial rip that's the usually the problem?}
    I also have several movies in avi format which I can play through windows media player too.
    Should I leave these in AVI format or convert them into some other format?
    I have all these files with that have been processed through DVDFab & have vob files,ifos, & BUP's on each movie. What do I have to keep & what don't I need? Right now when I click on a file it opens up to an audio & video ts file and inside that are the vob's, ifo's etc.
    Which type of file(s) should I keep in order to still watch on a 60 in tv & be able to convert to different file formats when I want to watch on ipods or droid phones?
    I appreciate any help/advice you have to offer.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Did you get it sorted or do you still need help