1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sempron

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bargaina, Dec 20, 2004.

1. bargaina

bargaina Guest

What makes sempron so cheap? I mean I can buy one for $50. so is it any good?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I think the Sempron replaces the AMD Duron processor. I have built low cost systems for people with the Duron that work very well. If you are doing normal computing, word processing, web surfing and printing it will do the job. If you are into the more intense games then its not the one to pick. I assume the Sempron is in the same quality area. As you stated they are quite cheap. I have a 1.3gig Duron PC setup just for dvd copies. Thats all it does, not hooked up to the web but networked so I can monitor it from this PC. My opinion is they are well worth the money but don't expect too much from it.

Jerry

3. bargaina

bargaina Guest

suppose this computer will be used for
    web, email, word, dvd viewing and PVR. do you think sempron is enough? I would like the pc to be used for say 3 years before another upgrade. I have a nagging feeling that sempron won't do in a year with the latest PVR software out by then.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2005
  4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its kind of hard to say what will be out there in 3 years the way computer specs and processors are changing these days. If there is any doubt in your mind that the Sempron isn't enough processor then my suggestion is to go to a better one for a little more money.

Jerry

5. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I'd get the 2500+/2600+ Athlon XP Mobile chip. If they ever start to become stressed by your working environment just slap a bigger heatsync/fan combo on it and overclock the crap out of them.